This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.7561 / 52°45'22"N
Longitude: 0.3538 / 0°21'13"E
OS Eastings: 558942
OS Northings: 320210
OS Grid: TF589202
Mapcode National: GBR N3P.68S
Mapcode Global: WHJP0.DZQG
Plus Code: 9F42Q943+FG
Entry Name: Church of Saint Margaret
Listing Date: 11 August 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1237110
English Heritage Legacy ID: 428310
Location: Clenchwarton, King's Lynn and West Norfolk, Norfolk, PE34
District: King's Lynn and West Norfolk
Civil Parish: Clenchwarton
Built-Up Area: Clenchwarton
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Clenchwarton
Church of England Diocese: Ely
CLENCHWARTON CHURCH ROAD
TF 52 SE
4/1 Church of St. Margaret
Parish church. C14 brick west tower, C15 nave of carstone and ragstone with
ashlar dressings. Carstone, ashlar and brick chancel of 1864. Lead roofs.
3 stage tower, externally undivided, supported by stepped diagonal west
buttresses. Arched wave moulded west door below triangular-headed statuary
niche. Chamfered lancet to south ringing chamber. 2-light ogee and cusped
belfry windows. Crenellated parapet with stone coping. Gabled brick south
porch with flanking side buttresses. Subsidiary statuary niches within
engaged pinnacles flanked arched doorway with hood mould on weathered animal
stops. 2-light cusped side windows. Interior of porch with barrel vault
supported on 4 ogee moulded arched ribs. Double wave moulded inner doorway.
Porch C15, restored 1861. Nave with stepped buttresses and rebuilt parapet.
Nave windows of 3 lights with C15 panel tracery below pointed segmental heads.
2 windows to south, 3 to north. 2 2-light transomed chancel windows with
panel tracery between stepped buttresses. Angle buttresses to east. Upper
chancel walls and parapet of brick. 3-light chancel last window and one 2-
light north window, all with panel tracery. Gabled vestry abuts north chancel
wall. Interior. Double chamfered tower arch mouldings die into responds.
Double chamfered chancel arch mouldings rest on corbels. Nave roof of
chamfered principals dropping to wall posts on corbels. One tier chamfered
butt purlins and ridge piece. One tie beam at east and west, on the latter
the date 1742. Early C17 polygonal pulpit with arcaded panels below frieze
of foliage patterns. Chancel roof of plain principals, one tier butt purlins
and ridge piece. Marble wall monument on chancel south wall to Forster family
1742 signed J. Fellows of Lynn (John Fellows, active 1714-1742) : shouldered
inscription panel flanked by fluted Ionic pilasters; coat of arms in apron,
black marble obelisk on entablature behind 3 urns. Octagonal font of 1835.
Listing NGR: TF5894220210
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings