This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.0579 / 52°3'28"N
Longitude: 1.1791 / 1°10'44"E
OS Eastings: 618043
OS Northings: 244720
OS Grid: TM180447
Mapcode National: GBR VP1.YS5
Mapcode Global: VHLBT.DJ7R
Plus Code: 9F43355H+5M
Entry Name: Gothic House
Listing Date: 15 November 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1237238
English Heritage Legacy ID: 428461
Location: Alexandra, Ipswich, Suffolk, IP4
Electoral Ward/Division: Alexandra
Built-Up Area: Ipswich
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Ipswich St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
1. ST JOHN'S ROAD
No 5 (Gothic House)
TM 14 SE 12/404
Villa. 1851-7 by Henry Ringham possibly to the design of J Phipson, architect.
Timber framed in Tudor-bethan style reusing old materials and copying details
from Tudor buildings in Ipswich. 2 1/2 storeys. Fenestration 1:1 with projecting
gabled bay with entrance in corner. Tiled roof with enriched bargeboard, drooping
finials and multi-form brick stack on rear gable. Flint cobble ground floor with
half-timbered 1st floor with stucco panels: fleur-de-lis pargetting in gable.
Richly carved corner-posts with lion brackets (copied from those on the Ancient
House, Ipswich) carry enriched bressummer with date 1634 of jetty. Transom and
mullion windows with leaded lights and oriels to front and side gables (copied from
the Neptune, Fore Street Ipswich), Entrance porch with pent roof and five-centred
arched opening. One-piece panelled door decorated with raised and fielded lozenges.
Rear door with intricately carved panels, probably sample specimens from the 1844
Rouse of Lords competition.
Listing NGR: TM1804344720
Other nearby listed buildings