History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Lawrence

A Grade II* Listed Building in King's Lynn, Norfolk

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.7092 / 52°42'33"N

Longitude: 0.2924 / 0°17'32"E

OS Eastings: 554965

OS Northings: 314860

OS Grid: TF549148

Mapcode National: GBR M2V.2RT

Mapcode Global: WHJPC.G5GC

Plus Code: 9F42P75R+MX

Entry Name: Church of St Lawrence

Listing Date: 11 August 1951

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1237259

English Heritage Legacy ID: 428482

Location: Tilney St. Lawrence, King's Lynn and West Norfolk, Norfolk, PE34

County: Norfolk

District: King's Lynn and West Norfolk

Civil Parish: Tilney St. Lawrence

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Tilney St Lawrence

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in
Tilney Saint Lawrence

Listing Text

TILNEY ST. LAWRENCE CHURCH ROAD
TF 51 SW

11/47 Church of St. Lawrence
11.8.51
- II*

Parish church. C14 west tower and nave, nave restored 1846 when transepts
added and chancel rebuilt. Tower of carstone and ashlar, remainder rendered.
Plain tile roofs. 3 stage tower, externally of 2 stages, with stepped angle
buttresses. West door of 2 orders of engaged columns supporting undercut
arch. Restored 2 light west window. Slit lights to ringing chamber west
and south. String course below 2 light arched belfry windows. Brick
crenellated parapet. Polygonal stair turret to north-east. Gabled south
porch with wave moulded entrance arch below square hood mould on labels.
Low side buttressing. Double hollow chamfer inner doorway with hood on head
stops. Arched and moulded north doorway. Nave with 2 3-light square headed
cusped windows north and south separated by stepped buttresses. All this
as in Ladbroke's 1820 drawing. Remainder completely altered in 1846. Short
angle buttresses to transepts. 2-light plate tracery south transept south
window. One lancet to east and west walls. Tall chancel with 2 pairs lancets
to south with arched priests' door between. Stepped buttresses, angled to
east. 3-light stepped east window beneath blank occulus. North chancel aisle
with lancet to east, paired lancets to north wall, arched priests' door and
2 further lancets. North transept as south except east wall not pierced by
lancet. Interior. Double chamfered tower and crossing arches, the latter
with semi-circular responds and capitals. C19 nave roof of large arched
braces meeting in centre of collars. One tier through purlins and ridge
piece. Crossing roof of quadripartite arches. Transept and chancel roofs
as nave. 2 bay double chamfered north chancel arcade with polygonal responds.
East window with internal hood mould resting on head stops depicting a king
and a bishop. Trefoiled piscina in south chancel wall. Painted Royal Arms
to James I 1670 in south nave wall. Plain octagonal font.


Listing NGR: TF5496514860

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.