This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5131 / 51°30'46"N
Longitude: -0.1765 / 0°10'35"W
OS Eastings: 526632
OS Northings: 180924
OS Grid: TQ266809
Mapcode National: GBR 4C.KS
Mapcode Global: VHGQY.W7KF
Plus Code: 9C3XGR7F+69
Entry Name: Church of St James
Listing Date: 25 September 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1237437
English Heritage Legacy ID: 428698
Location: Hyde Park, Westminster, London, W2
Electoral Ward/Division: Hyde Park
Built-Up Area: City of Westminster
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St James Paddington
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ 2680 NE CITY OF WESTMINSTER SUSSEX GARDENS, W2
25.9.51 Church of St. James
Church. 1881 by G.E. Street, with west chapel (formerly chancel) of 1841-3 by
Goldicutt and Gutch. Church oriented with chancel to west. Decorated style.
Yellow brick. Knapped flints and stone dressings. 4-bay nave, clerestory, lower
chancel. 2 stage tower to east with spire recessed behind quatrefoil parapet,
corner pinnacles with flying buttresses; and 5-light window to base. 3-light
windows to aisles, with flowing tracery; set in knapped flint walls. Clerestory
with paired 2-light traceried windows. Interior: 2-bay chancel with 7-light
flowing traceried east window, and timber tierceron vaulting. 3 oculi above
chancel arch. Nave with cloistered piers to pointed nave arcade; coved roof to
nave adorned with figures of angels; marble cladding to spandrels of arcade and
to aisle walls. South east (liturgical) chapel with central timber column.
Victorian stained glass to rest of windows. Marble font, pulpit and inlaid
London Vol II, N Pevsner.
Listing NGR: TQ2663280923
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings