History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hawthorn Hall and Parts of Front Garden Walls

A Grade II* Listed Building in Wilmslow, Cheshire East

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.3282 / 53°19'41"N

Longitude: -2.2377 / 2°14'15"W

OS Eastings: 384262

OS Northings: 381282

OS Grid: SJ842812

Mapcode National: GBR DYTY.BM

Mapcode Global: WHBB7.LLMW

Entry Name: Hawthorn Hall and Parts of Front Garden Walls

Listing Date: 6 July 1984

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1237621

English Heritage Legacy ID: 414651

Location: Wilmslow, Cheshire East, SK9

County: Cheshire East

Civil Parish: Wilmslow

Built-Up Area: Wilmslow

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire

Church of England Parish: Wilmslow St Bartholomew

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Wilmslow

Listing Text

SJ 88 SW WILMSLOW FORMER U.D. HALL ROAD
(West Side)

1/281 Hawthorn Hall and parts
of front garden walls.

30/3/1951

GV II*

Formerly hall, later school, now offices: dated 1698 for John Leigh
but traces of earlier timber-framed core. English garden wall bond
plum brick with Kerridge stone-slate roof, stone ridge and 3 brick
chimneys. Long rectangular plan. North front is nearly symmetrical
of 2½ storeys and 4 gables each with replaced barge-boards and mace
finials. Brick band at 1st floor. Pairs of wooden mullioned and
transomed windows under each gable. 2 with original rectangular
leaded glazing, the rest with applied lead glazing, all under flat
wedged brick heads. Central doorcase has plain pilasters with a
segmental hood over a cartouche with the date, and a C20 copy of a
studded oak 4-board door. Above this bay on a stone-coped eaves is a
short balustrade, the end balusters are carved figures, the rest
clasped by acanthus leaves. All this has 2 pine cone and a ball
finial. Behind is an octagonal wooded half-glazed lantern with a lead
cupola and weathervane. South front is similar but doorcase not
central and with fluted sub-classical pilasters, no hood and a plaque
with a lion rampant Balustrade now reduced but with evidence of
twisted balusters, smaller pine cones and a ball finial with an odd
cap. East front is twin gabled.
Interior: 2 rooms, one to right and one above entrance have
oak-panelled walls with 2-levels of bolection moulded panels, a
moulded cornice and exposed ceiling beams. 2 and 3 panelled doors
with raised fields survive to most rooms. Dogleg staircase has
twisted balusters, and twisted newels and panelling above the wall
string. Rooms at the south end of house show parts of timber-framing
and later and daub infill, of an external wall of the previous house.
There is a suggestion of close-studding. These rooms have
ovolo-moulded beams.

From south-east and north-east corners of house run intact brick
garden walls with stone coping, each with a rusticated gate surround,
one with scrolled tops, one with curlicues. At each corner with the
house is a pine cone finial.


Listing NGR: SJ8426281282

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.