This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.9074 / 51°54'26"N
Longitude: -1.7764 / 1°46'34"W
OS Eastings: 415479
OS Northings: 223229
OS Grid: SP154232
Mapcode National: GBR 4Q6.7QZ
Mapcode Global: VHB1W.5B74
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 25 August 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1237720
English Heritage Legacy ID: 414981
Location: Upper Slaughter, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL54
Civil Parish: Upper Slaughter
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Upper Slaughter St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
9/176 Church of St Peter
Parish church. C12 and C13 or early C14 chancel, C14 towel (upper part C15),
alterations of 1822, added Witts Mortuary Chapel of 1854 by Francis Niblett,
a Gloucestershire gentleman architect, and careful restoration of 1877 by J E
K Cutts. Rubble, partly coursed, Cotswold stone roofs. 4 bay C12 nave with
north aisle; tower inserted into west bay in C14; south porch with an assembly
of carved C12 fragments, 3 bay chancel with Witts chapel to north. C15 sanctus
turret. NW and N aisle window largely 1877, or re-set then, in Perpendicular
style when the Rev F E Witts's Georgian preaching box of 182 was re-Gothicized.
3 stage west tower re-Using Norman orders, vault and corbels presumably from
a tower further west (by 1 bay); battlement and pinnacles. Niblett's NE chapel,
a mortuary chapel for the Rev F E Witts, is typical of his use of the Decorated
style in a wayward manner; cross-looped stair turret to west, gabled break with
quatrefoil for tomb recess and east window with crocketted label; enriched
cornice. Interior: tower arch and vault:- impressive jumble of re-used Norman
material, further carved Norman corbels in deadening chamber. 3 bay restored
arcade with lightly enriched scallop caps. Chancel arch also by Niblett in
'modern Norman'. Two fonts, one C15 restored, an octagonal chalice type, C13
piscina in chancel; C14 easter sepulchre now plugged by a provincial baroque
monument to Frances and Andrew Wanley died 1682. Other monuments listed by
Buildings of England Series, D Verey, Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds (1970).
Good stained glass by Clayton and Bell; Mortuary Chapel has faded Hardman glass;
the marble Witts tomb which cost £1000 is signed Waller; tiles and part of
ceiling patterning survive in Mortuary Chapel. Not mentioned in Domesday Book,
but in the Civil War the Abbot of Gloucester complained that the church had been
used for defensive purposes - perhaps that church was partially destroyed as
there is evidence of both early and mid C12 work. VCH, Vol Vl: DOE Verey, Glos:
The Cotswolds 1970; Report to HBC Churches Committee, 1982.
Listing NGR: SP1547923229
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings