This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.9137 / 52°54'49"N
Longitude: -1.799 / 1°47'56"W
OS Eastings: 413610
OS Northings: 335158
OS Grid: SK136351
Mapcode National: GBR 49Z.7ZC
Mapcode Global: WHCFQ.B1K4
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 13 September 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1238254
English Heritage Legacy ID: 415501
Location: Somersal Herbert, Derbyshire Dales, Derbyshire, DE6
District: Derbyshire Dales
Civil Parish: Somersal Herbert
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Somersal Herbert St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Derby
SK 13 NW PARISH OF SOMERSAL HERBERT CHURCH LANE
1/26 (South Side)
13.9.67 Church of St Peter
Parish church. Rebuilt in 1836 and again in 1874 by C J Neale of Mansfield,
probably re-using medieval masonry. West tower 1912, possibly by Currey &
Thompson of Derby. Sandstone ashlar and red brick. Welsh slate roofs, stone
coped gables with plain kneelers anda cross finial on the east gable. Plain
parapets to nave and chancel. West tower, nave with south porch and chancel.
West tower in 'Free Gothic' style angle buttresses with three set-offs, castellated
parapet. Polygonal stair turretprojects from the north west corner and its
parapet rises above the tower parapet. 3-light west window with triangular
headed lights, the centre one cusped, under a Gothic arch with almost straight
sides. Hoodmould. Small cusped lancets above on three sides. Clock face above
again on all four sides. Bell stage has on all faces paired louvred bell openings
with Gothic arches with almost straight sides, dying into the imposts. Simple
hollow moulding and cusping. Stringcourse at the base of the parapet. The nave
and chancel walls run without a break but the two parts are expressed externally
by a break in the roofline. On the north side are three buttresses with two set-
offs; to the nave, two 3-light windows under flat arches, with cusped lancet
lights. One similar 2-light window to the chancel. The south side has three
similar buttresses, one against the east wall and one similar 3-light window to the
nave. Perp Style east window of 5-lights with hoodmould and moulded surround.
Gabled south porch. Red brick with heavy rusticated stone quoins and a massive
keyed stone lintel. It is in the style of c1700 but probably dates from 1836,
re-using old materials. Interior, triple chamfered tower arch without capitals.
Broad, double chamfered Perp Style chancel arch. Nave and chancel roofs have
kingpost trusses supported by arched braces on corbels. Early C12 circular tub
font with intersecting blind arcading and a frieze of lozenges overlaid with
intermittent circles. Tomb recess in the chancel north side with hollow moulding.
In the recess the torso and head of a priest with arms folded and a chalice in his
lap. Probably early C15. Wall monument (chancel south), aedicule with broken
pediment enclosing a coat of arms. Dated 1601. Stained glass. West window c1873
by Wailes. Chancel north window 1896 by Kempe.
Listing NGR: SK1361035158
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings