This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.3881 / 51°23'17"N
Longitude: 0.2335 / 0°14'0"E
OS Eastings: 555502
OS Northings: 167822
OS Grid: TQ555678
Mapcode National: GBR VM.9K4
Mapcode Global: VHHP7.0C8P
Plus Code: 9F3296QM+79
Entry Name: Franks Hall
Listing Date: 1 August 1952
Last Amended: 22 October 1982
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1238914
English Heritage Legacy ID: 416413
Location: Horton Kirby and South Darenth, Sevenoaks, Kent, DA4
Civil Parish: Horton Kirby and South Darenth
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Church of England Parish: Horton Kirby St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Rochester
HORTON KIRBY FRANKS LANE
(formerly listed as
TQ 56 NE 3/176 1.8.52
This house was built in 1591 by Lancelot Bathurst (died 1594). The original
mansion was on the other side of the river but was very damp so it was abandoned
and a new house built. It is a square building of 3 storeys. Red brick on a
tall base of knapped flints. Tiled roof. Casement windows in stone surrounds
with stone mullions and transoms. The entrance front faces east. The centre
of 2 windows is recessed with a parapet over it having a small pediment in the
centre surmounted by a finial. Advanced wings of 2 windows each edged with long
and short stone dressings. The centre windows have 2-lights, in 2 tiers on the
first floor and in 3 tiers on the ground floor. The windows flanking these have
a similar arrangement of 4-lights each. The outermost windows are bays of 2 tiers
of 6-lights on the ground and first floors. Stone doorway left of centre with
Doric columns on tall bases, triglyph frieze and curved pediment flanked by
finials. This leads into a recessed porch. The north or garden front has 5 windows
of 2 tiers of 3-(and one of 4) lights and similar dressings flanking it.
A gable surmounted by a finial at each end, and in the centre 3 projecting chimney
breasts topped by 3 octagonal shafts each. The south front is somewhat similar
but has only 2 chimney breasts, placed just within the outer gables. Six windows.
Large bay window of 2 tiers of 6-lights left of the centre ground floor window with
a strap work parapet over it. The west front has 4 windows and a projecting central
octagonal turret. The C19 wooden cupola which surmounted it has been removed. The
interior has very fine plastered ceilings, one dated 1591, stone fireplaces,
panelling and late C16 staircase.
See Country Life Article 26th July 1913.
Listing NGR: TQ5550267822
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings