History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Wellingham House

A Grade II Listed Building in Ringmer, East Sussex

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9016 / 50°54'5"N

Longitude: 0.0325 / 0°1'57"E

OS Eastings: 543017

OS Northings: 113313

OS Grid: TQ430133

Mapcode National: GBR LR1.H14

Mapcode Global: FRA B6YQ.JHL

Plus Code: 9F22W22M+J2

Entry Name: Wellingham House

Listing Date: 20 August 1965

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1238956

English Heritage Legacy ID: 416571

Location: Ringmer, Lewes, East Sussex, BN8

County: East Sussex

Civil Parish: Ringmer

Traditional County: Sussex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex

Church of England Parish: Ringmer St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Chichester

Find accommodation in
Ringmer

Description

RINGMER

946/10/605 WELLINGHAM LANE
20-AUG-65 Wellingham House

II

Private house. Built about 1800 on the site of an earlier building, for the Rickman family; extensively remodelled 1955-71 for Ian Askew by Raymond Erith. Red brick, tile and timber, hipped slate roof, with large stacks and dormers. Two storeys and attics. Three windows facing east, 2 windows facing north and south. Wide eaves bracket cornice. Sash windows with glazing bars. Porch with Doric columns and pediment. Round-headed doorway with semi-circular fanlight. The south front was remodelled by Erith to incorporate a wing which had been a later addition to the original house. Part of this was pulled down in 1955 in order to build the library, which was approached through a new octagonal ante-room (decorated with Chinese wallpaper brought from Panshanger). In 1960 Erith added two new wings at the front of the house, which were clad in wood and painted to look like stone; single storey. Centre portion of each wing projects with pediment over, with two round-arched windows either side of central niche, and with central stack over. These provided larger drawing and dining rooms, in respectively a C18 and c.1830 style. Trellised verandah added to older part of south-west front as part of this scheme. First-floor dining room added in 1971, tile hung; conservatory and the trellis outside the library also of this date.

Sources
House and Garden, November 1958, pp.64-7
House and Garden, September 1983, pp.122-7
Lucy Archer, Raymond Erith Architect, 1985, p.139

Listing NGR: TQ4301713313

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.