History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Blyth Priory Church of Saint Mary and Saint Martin

A Grade I Listed Building in Blyth, Nottinghamshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.3788 / 53°22'43"N

Longitude: -1.0634 / 1°3'48"W

OS Eastings: 462403

OS Northings: 387293

OS Grid: SK624872

Mapcode National: GBR PY0C.LH

Mapcode Global: WHFG0.MBVL

Entry Name: Blyth Priory Church of Saint Mary and Saint Martin

Listing Date: 30 November 1966

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1239182

English Heritage Legacy ID: 416957

Location: Blyth, Bassetlaw, Nottinghamshire, S81

County: Nottinghamshire

District: Bassetlaw

Civil Parish: Blyth

Built-Up Area: Blyth

Traditional County: Nottinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Blyth

Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham

Find accommodation in
Blyth

Listing Text

SK 68 NW BLYTH SHEFFIELD ROAD
(north side)

2/77 Blyth Priory
Church of Saint
30.11.66 Mary and Saint
Martin

G.V. I

Priory Church. Late C11, early C13 c,1300, c,1400, late C15.
The transepts and 5 apses were blocked off in the C15 and
demolished mid C16. Restored by Fowler 1885, further various C20
restorations, the bell chamber being restored 1929/30. Founded
by Roger de Builli in 1088. Ashlar and brick with lead roofs and
segmental stone coped parapet at the east end. Tower, nave,
north and south aisles with tribunes and clerestorys, south
porch. The crossing, north and south transepts each with
apsidal east capel, the chancel ending in an apse and with
straight-ended chapels have all been demolished. The angle
buttressed C15 tower of 2 stages has a chamfered base with 2
moulded string courses over. There is a central arched west
doorway with moulded jambs and arch, with inner order of fleuron
decoration. Over is a hood mould decorated with worn crockets
and rising to a crocketed pinnacle with decorated finial. Above
is a slightly projecting canopy. The outer order of the jambs
support single slender flat piers with set offs. These are
decorated with blind tracery and topped with a crocketed pinnacle
and finial which terminate at the canopy. Above is an arched 3-
light window divided by a single transom and 3 mullions, with
reticulated tracery below the transom and reticulated and panel
tracery above. Over is a hoodmould and label stops. On either
side are single niches, having ogee arches topped with a
crocketed pinnacle. Rising from the springing of these arches
are single small slim piers with worn decorated capitals. Above
the window is a similar niche and above a single square light.
There are 6 small stair lights. The 4 large arched bell chamber
openings of 4 arched lights, surmounted by a further 4 arched
lights and tracery have a hood mould with finial and label stops,
the latter rise to single gargoyles. The top of the tower is
embattled with centre and corner crocketed pinnacles. The
merlons are conjoined by single open-work crocketed and cusped
arches. The north aisle, west wall, on a shallow plinth with
slim rectangular set back buttresses has a brick arched opening
leading to a cellar doorway. Between the wall and the tower
buttress is an ashlar lean-to with ashlar roof - remnants of a
former spiral stair turret. The north aisle wall, with corbel
table to the 3 eastern bays and traces of the cloisters, has 4
large buttresses, the western one being topped with a flue. The
2 western most bays are set on a shallow plinth and there are
remnants of a sill band. The 3 bays to the west each have a
single small round headed arched window in a deep recess. The
2nd bay in from the east has a single similar arched window and a
small single, flat headed, window replacing an arched one. The
eastern most bay has a similar flat headed window in an arched
opening and a single similar arched window. There is a 2nd
founder's tomb with decorated arch and a blocked arch now
containing a doorway. At tribune level are 5 windows each with 3
arched lights under a flat head. In the clerestorey are 6 arched
windows. Above, supporting the roof, runs a corbel table. The
east wall has a central moulded arch supported on compound piers
of rectangular and segmental moulding, with worn capitals. This
leads to a blocked off bay of the nave with vaulted ceiling and
single boss, with evidence of the once internal round piers and
volute capitals. The north and south walls of this bay are
blocked, to the north with brick. On either side of the arch
are C20 brick refaced walls with some rendering. The south aisle
wall is buttressed and set on a plinth. The parapet is
embattled and has 7 gargoyles under. There is a sill band
interrupted by the porch. There are 5 arched windows, each with
recently restored 3-light intersecting tracery, hood moulds and
label stops. To the west, between the 4th and 5th window is the
c,1200 buttressed porch, with embattled, gabled parapet with 3
crocketed pinnacles and single gargoyles to its east and west
walls. The central moulded arch is supported on either side by
single alternating pairs of colonnettes and columns with worn and
restored crocket capitals. Over the guttering, which follows
the line of the gable, is a sundial. The inner arched doorway
has on either side single colonnettes and single columns
supporting a double order of nail head decoration. The double
doors have blind tracery. To the west is an arched doorway with
hoodmould over. There are 6 arched windows in the clerestorey,
the eastern most one being blocked. Above, supporting the roof,
runs a corbel table. The west, south aisle wall with angle
buttresses and parapet has a band terminating at the large 5-
light arched window, with panel tracery, hoodmould and label
stops. Interior. Nave and aisles are separated by 5 bay
arcades. The piers have square cores with a flat projection to
each side and a further flat projection to the aisle sides. The
other 3 sides each have a single demi-column on a rectangular
plinth. The slender columns facing the nave once rose to the
roof, they now support the c.1230 quadripartite vaulted ceiling
with narrow ribs and 4 remaining bosses. The capitals of the
larger columns are decorated with primitive volutes and a single
central tongue. Some of the bases of the columns are decorated.
The arches have 2 steps. At tribune level is a string course
running around the columns. The tribune openings are large, the
arches have 2 steps and are supported by imposts. The northern
openings have 3 C17 style windows. The clerestory windows each
have an outer order of columns. The blocked north eastern bay
has a grille in the east corner. In the blocked east wall is an
arch which once lead to the choir. There is a double chamfered
tower arch. The north aisle has crude depressed transverse
arches and crude groined vaults, the eastern most bay is blocked
off. There is a blocked arch in the west wall, this once lead
to a spiral staircase. In the late C13 the south aisle was
widened. There is double chamfered arch leading to the tower and
a blocked arch in the west wall, once leading to a spiral
staircase. The blocked east wall has a 2 bay opening, once
leading to the transept, with moulded arches and centre octagonal
pier with moulded capital. The northern, restored, respond has
square shafts with a demi-column the south also has a carved head
and moulded capital to the inner shaft. The C15 south aisle
screen with tracery and cusping is vaulted either side, this and
the C15 nave screen have painted panels. There is a further C15
traceried screen separating organ and south aisle. The C17 font
is decorated with cherubs' heads and has a Jacobean style cover.
The panelling in the south east end of the aisle is said to be
preserved from the old pews and is dated 1656. The decoration
corresponds to that on the C17 pulpit. In the south aisle is a
C17 oak table; in the nave a C15 wooden alms box. There are
scant remnants of a wall painting on the pulpitum. In the south
aisle is a painting attributed to Fra Bartolomeo, c,1490 of St.
Mary Magdalene. On the north wall is a large, fine and
elaborate monument to Edward Mellish, 1703, by John Hancock.
This comprises the figure of Mellish, reclining upon a chest tomb
with his head resting upon one hand, above is the inscription
with elaborate carved drapery over. Ionic columns support a
segmental pediment with centre carved shield. Also in the
north aisle is a coffin slab with worn cross and another rather
more worn. In the tower is a coffin slab with foliated cross
c,1300. Beside the north wall of the south aisle is a damaged
recumbant knight in full armour, with cylindrical helmet and
visor, c,1240. In the nave is a monument, 1772, to Catherine
Hornby and Thomas Judson Gent. This has a decoratively carved
cherub's head on the apron with an urn and swag flanked by single
torches on the crown, and is by J. Wood.


Listing NGR: SK6240287286

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.