History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hoe Farm House

A Grade II Listed Building in Hascombe, Surrey

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1466 / 51°8'47"N

Longitude: -0.5745 / 0°34'28"W

OS Eastings: 499808

OS Northings: 139560

OS Grid: SU998395

Mapcode National: GBR FDP.5JP

Mapcode Global: VHFW1.0F4V

Entry Name: Hoe Farm House

Listing Date: 9 March 1960

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1240699

English Heritage Legacy ID: 439124

Location: Hascombe, Waverley, Surrey, GU8

County: Surrey

District: Waverley

Civil Parish: Hascombe

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey

Church of England Parish: Hascombe

Church of England Diocese: Guildford

Find accommodation in
Witley

Listing Text

SU 93NE HASCOMBE C.P. HOE LANE

9/166 Hoe Farm House
9/3/60
II

House. Early C16 extended in C17 and further enlarged by Sir Edwin Lutyens in
1890. Timber framed, clad in sandstone rubble with some colourwashed brick
infill to exposed first floor frame to right. Plain tiled roofs, stepping down
and half-hipped to right. Two storeys with tall basement plinth to right end.
Double, re-built diagonal stacks to left on crowstepped plinth. Two diagonal
stacks straddling ridge to right of centre and two front stacks to right of centre
with rear stacks to right. Attic in gable end bay to left. One leaded, 3-light
window on each floor below; two first floor and one ground floor, 4-light window
to centre. One 3-light window on first floor and one 2-light ground floor window
under tiled offset and tile hung gable to right. One diamond-pane casement on
each floor, including basement to right. Panelled and part glazed door to right
of centre between the stacks in gabled brick porch with elliptical arch to front.
Timber framed gallery to right hand return front links to coach-house type block
by Lutyens, with gabled dormers and leaded fenestration.
Interior:- Fine ceiling frame to ground floor left, chamfered joists, moulded
beam to left and some panelling. Massive braced Crown post to first floor above
with clever staircase fitted in around the old frame by Lutyens. The house was
once owned by Winston Churchill and reputedly was where he started his painting.

PEVSNER: BUILDINGS OF ENGLAND, SURREY (1971) p.p. 303.

Life of Winston Churchill Vol. III.


Listing NGR: SU9980839560

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.