This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.1464 / 51°8'47"N
Longitude: -0.5692 / 0°34'8"W
OS Eastings: 500181
OS Northings: 139542
OS Grid: TQ001395
Mapcode National: GBR FDQ.0XV
Mapcode Global: VHFW1.2GY1
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 28 October 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1240725
English Heritage Legacy ID: 439128
Location: Hascombe, Waverley, Surrey, GU8
Civil Parish: Hascombe
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Hascombe
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
TQ 03NW HASCOMBE C.P. SCHOOL LANE
10/170 Church of
Church. 1864 by Henry Woodyer. Rough-coursed galleted sandstone with ashlar
dressings; plain tiled roof with wood shingled broach spire and bellcote. Nave
and north aisle with independently roofed chapel to south, bellcote to west,
chancel to east, vestry to north east and porch to south west. Offset buttresses
and paired lancet fenestration in C13 style, with smooth ashlar surrounds to
windows. Quatrefoil panels between windows on south side. Diagonal and clasping
buttresses to chapel. Plinth and sill course to four "shouldered" lancets under
continuous hood moulding. Trefoil window and door to west end of chapel with door
in shallow forward break. Large 3-light and trefoil windows to east and west of
the chapel. Coved eaves on chancel with apsidal east end. Four windows to south,
two windows to north, either side of easternmost buttress containing window. C20
vestry to north of chancel. Three paired and one single lancet to north side of
church. West front:- Three-light window with three blind quatrefoils and nook
shafts. Three louvred openings to each face of bellcote above. Gabled porch to
south with braced entrance posts and V-strut roof. Arched openings to sides.
Roll moulding around south door.
Interior:- Unusually complete mid-Victorian scheme of decoration. Nave walls
painted with the "miraculous draught of fishes" in 1890 in gold and blue.
Patterned tile floor on nave. Detached nook shafts and rear arches to window
surrounds. Richly decorated chancel and apse. Roof rafters cusped and gilded,
deep east lancet made up into a rich composition with the wall surface adjoining
used as a reredos, mosaic and marble inlaid. Candleholder sconces in shape of
angels with stencilled decoration and rich decoration of soffit of chancel arch.
Font - 1690, from the old church. Square stone bowl on square stem. C15 Rood
screen, restored in 1864 and decorated by Hardman and Powell. Stained glass
also by Hardman and Powell. Monument - West Wall. Dedicated to
William Middlefield, died 1785. By T. Hews Neo-classical style. Grey marble
ground with flanking Cherubim and mourning female figure in Classical dress.
Inscription panel below with scrolls and garlands flanking oval relief.
PEVSNER: Buildings of England, Surrey (1971) pp.302-3.
V.C.H. Surrey (1967 Ed) Vol. III pp.102-4.
Listing NGR: TQ0018139542
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings