History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Felix

A Grade II* Listed Building in Thirsk, North Yorkshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.2564 / 54°15'22"N

Longitude: -1.2832 / 1°16'59"W

OS Eastings: 446792

OS Northings: 484760

OS Grid: SE467847

Mapcode National: GBR MMG6.ZZ

Mapcode Global: WHD8J.885T

Plus Code: 9C6W7P48+HP

Entry Name: Church of St Felix

Listing Date: 20 June 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1241255

English Heritage Legacy ID: 440239

Location: Felixkirk, Hambleton, North Yorkshire, YO7

County: North Yorkshire

Civil Parish: Felixkirk

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Find accommodation in
Felixkirk

Listing Text

SE 48 SE FELIXKIRK MAIN STREET
4/4 (west side)

20.6.66 Church of St Felix

II*

Church. C12-C13 nave and chancel, C15 tower, C19 south porch, apse restored and
rebuilt 1859-60 by W Dykes. Sandstone ashlar, graduated stone slate roof with ashlar
coping and lead roof to chancel. Nest tower, aisled nave with south porch, chancel
with apse. Two-stage embattled tower has diagonal buttresses with off-sets, C19
3-light window, 2-light bell stage, and rebuilt parapet. Nave: 2 bays. Norman west
window to south aisle, otherwise mainly C19 tracery in C13 style. Chancel: one bay
with 2-bay apse. Reset and recut Norman doorway flanked by single order of colonettes
to chancel. Re-used C13, 2-light windows to western bay of apse. String course.
Corbel table. Interior: round arcade piers of later C12 with square abaci, somewhat
restored, and C19 west responds, supporting early C13 double-chamfered pointed-arch
arcade. Chancel arch of circa 1125 with zig-zag and beakhead ornament resting on
triple responds with interlace capitals. Chancel: west bay has deeply-splayed
round-arched windows flanked by a single order of colonettes with cushion capitals
carrying a roll moulding. Tomb of William de Cantilupe (deceased 1309) has retooled
recumbent effigy of knight in cuspedrecess with crocketed gable. Early C14 recumbent
effigy of Eva, daughter of Sir Adam of Boltby.


Listing NGR: SE4679284760

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.