History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II* Listed Building in Marton-cum-Moxby, North Yorkshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.1066 / 54°6'23"N

Longitude: -1.0807 / 1°4'50"W

OS Eastings: 460204

OS Northings: 468249

OS Grid: SE602682

Mapcode National: GBR NNWY.TN

Mapcode Global: WHFBJ.C1MM

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 17 May 1960

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1241740

English Heritage Legacy ID: 440940

Location: Marton-cum-Moxby, Hambleton, North Yorkshire, YO61

County: North Yorkshire

District: Hambleton

Civil Parish: Marton-cum-Moxby

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Marton St Mary

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Whenby

Listing Text

SE 66 NW MARTON-CUM-MOXBY HARRYFIELD LANE
(north-east side, off)

3/5 Church of St Mary

17.5.60

GV II*

Church. Circa 1540 with C12 origins and fragments reused from Marton Priory
(old list description); altered. Rubble brought to course and cobblestone, some
coursed squared stone. Welsh slate roof. Nave of 3 bays (4 internally) with
southern tower porch and lower 3-bay chancel. Chamfered plinth; raised crow-
stepped verges. Nave: tower-porch of 2 stages defined by moulded strings has
moulding above plinth; offset angle buttresses; segmental-arched moulded doorway
with reused tracery in head and C20 board door; weathered image above door; on
2nd stage, cusped-headed louvred belfry light with fragment of top of image
niche above; tall parapet with moulded coping; each return having chamfered slit
window to lower stage, belfry window as before, and parapet stepping down. To
right of tower, two 2-light windows with cusped heads to lights and hollow-
moulded surrounds. Chancel: narrow chamfered lights flanking 4-light recessed,
hollow-moulded mullion window with stanchions and saddle bars. East end:
offset angle buttresses; stepped 3-light hollow-moulded mullion window, the
lights 4-centred-arched, with hoodmould, shield above and square, chamfered,
gable vent. North side: of cobblestone with rubble bands except for east end
of chancel and nave deep eaves course above offset, which are of coursed squared
stone. Nave blind, having stepped buttresses at east end and shorter buttress
at west end. Chancel with narrow chamfered light at east end. West end: offset
below hollow-moulded mullion window of 3 cusped lights with string stepped up
over it; chamfered slit window to gable; rainwater head to right dated 1890.
Interior: tower-porch has Perpendicular-style Tudor-arched panelled inner door
with moulded ribs and traceried heads and bases to panels and stop-chamfered
quoined surround; rectangular opening above door, a stone with relief carving
and with deep wooden lintel; moulded cornice and joists of floor above. Chancel.
arch round with imposts. Nave has moulded wooden cornice and king-post roof
trusses with arch braces to purlins. Chancel roof barrel-vaulted with ribs
springing from shields set on moulded wooden cornice. Late C17-early C18 wooden
altar rail with turned balusters; circular tub font on octagonal column with
moulded base and circular plinth; C17 pew ends with trefoiled tops.


Listing NGR: SE6020468249

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.