History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Winifred

A Grade I Listed Building in Kingston on Soar, Nottinghamshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.8449 / 52°50'41"N

Longitude: -1.2563 / 1°15'22"W

OS Eastings: 450184

OS Northings: 327742

OS Grid: SK501277

Mapcode National: GBR 8JS.M5T

Mapcode Global: WHDH9.NRYF

Plus Code: 9C4WRPVV+WF

Entry Name: Church of St Winifred

Listing Date: 13 October 1966

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1242066

English Heritage Legacy ID: 441417

Location: Kingston on Soar, Rushcliffe, Nottinghamshire, NG11

County: Nottinghamshire

Civil Parish: Kingston on Soar

Traditional County: Nottinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Kingston-on-Soar

Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham

Tagged with: Church building

Find accommodation in
Sutton Bonington

Description

KINGSTON ON SOAR THE GREEN
SK 52 NW
(north side)
4/38 Church of
St. Winifred
13.10.66
G.V.
Parish church. Chancel and chancel aisle c.1540, remainder and
restorations 1900 by R. Creed. Ashlar. Plain tile roofs.
Parapets to porch, chancel and chancel aisle. Single ridge
crosses to porch, east and west nave, east aisle and east
chancel. Buttressed and set on a moulded plinth with moulded
band extending over, apart from the tower and stair turret which
are not buttressed and have a splayed plinth with moulded band
over, the vestry lacks the band. South west tower with stair
turret to the north east, south aisle, south porch, nave, north
vestry, chancel and chancel aisole. Tower of 2 stages with
bands. The embattlements are decorated with blind tracery with
single large similarly decorated corner crocketed pinnacles to
all but the north east and single similar smaller pinnacles to
the centre of each side. The west side with single arched light
with cusped panel tracery, hood mould and label stops. Above to
west, north and south sides are single arched and cusped lights
with hood moulds and label stops. 4 bell chamber openings each
with 2 arched and cusped lights under a flat arch with hood
moulds and label stops. Under the south side is a single clock
face. Projecting from the north east corner is the embattled
stair turret of 3 stages with bands with chamfered arched
doorway, 2 small rectangular lights and 2 quatrefoils. The west
wall of the nave has a single arched 2 light window with
reticulated tracery, hood mould and label stops. The north wall
has a single arched 2 light window with cusped panel tracery, to
the left is a single arched 3 light window with cusped panel
tracery and on the far left a single arched 2 ight window with
flowing tracery. All with hood moulds and label stops. To the
left is the gabled vestry with chamfered arched doorway, hood
mould and label stops in the west wall. The north wall has a
single window with 2 arched and cusped lights under a flat arch
with hood mould and label stops. To the left in the north
chancel are 2 windows each with 2 arched lights under a flat
arch, the continuous hood mould extends to the east chancel and
the continuous sill band to the east chancel, east and south
chancel aisle walls, being broken by the east chancel window.
Over the windows are 4 decorative heraldic plaques. The single
central buttress is topped with a damaged decorative finial.
Rainwater head here inscribed "1900 B". The east chancel has a
single arched window with 5 arched and cusped lights, each cusp
terminating in a single orb, the window further decorated with
carved.shields. To the right and left are single panels
containing decorative shields. Above is a single similar smaller
panel. To the left and slightly porjecting is the chancel aisle,
the diagonal buttresses terminating in crocketed pinnacles below
the parapet. Single central canted bay with single arched window
with 3 arched and cusped lights, each cusp terminating in a
single orb, the window further decorated with carved quatrefoils.
In each side wall are single similar lights. Continuous hood
mould. Over the central window is a carved lion flanked by
single smaller carved figures of beasts. Over the lion in
the parapet is a single panel with decorative carved heraldic
shield. Either side of the canted bay are single panels with
decorative carved heraldic shields. Hood moulds and label stops
over each. The south chancel aisle wall has 2 arched 2 light
windows treated in a similar manner to those of the east wall.
Continuous hood mould over. Over each is a single panel with
carved lion. The single central buttress is topped with an
heraldic carving. Rainwater head here inscribed "1900 B". The
south aisle wall has a single arched 2 light window with flowing
tracery, to the left is a single arched 3 light window with
cusped panel tracery, both with hood moulds and label stops. To
the left is the porch with moulded arched entrance hood mould and
human head label stops. Over is a single niche with cusped
canopy containing a single carved figure. Inner moulded arched
doorway with hood mould and label stops. Interior. 3 bay nave
arcade. Piers and responds consist of 4 colonnettes alternating
with 4 engaged octagonal piers. Moulded arches. Moulded tower
arch. Moulded aisle/chancel aisle arch with similar responds to
the nave arcade. Similar chancel arch, responds however with
stiff-leaf capitals, hood mould and human head label stops.
Between chancel and chancel aisle is the extraordinary and
elaborate Babington monument. 4 piers, the bases and shafts
decorated with blind tracery, carved heads, figures and figures
set into hexagonals, capitals decorated with babes and tons and
open tracery, support a large and elaborate arched canopy with
single corner crocketed pinnacles further decorated with blind
tracery. The canopy decorated with angels holding shields,
foliate, babes and tons and blind and open tracery. The vaulted
roof with blind tracery and pendant bosses. The east side
decorated with a representation of The Last Judgement. To the
left, linking the monument to the east wall of the nave is a
depressed arch supported on moulded corbels. The soffits
decorated with foliate. Cornice surmounted by large panel
decorated with a coat of arms. Mounted on to the west wall is a
carved panel decorated with lions holding a shield with carvings
of children and tons, further decorated with fleur de lys and
Tudor roses. Above is a single panel decorated with blind
shields and blind tracery. The north wall of the chancel has a
tripartite sedilia consisting of moulded arches supported on 2
colonnettes with continuous hood mould and 2 human head label
stops. To the left is a moulded arched doorway with hood mould.
Alabaster reredos with blind tracery, alabaster font. The east
windows of chancel and chancel aisle are treated in a similar
mode to their exteriors. Reveal of chancel aisle window further
decorated with elaborate blind tracery. The chancel and chancel
aisle roofs with C16 moulded beams and carved bosses, further
decorated with blind tracery and carved angels. The tower has 3
C19 monuments. In the chancel aisle is a copper plaque inscribed
"The nave, aisle and tower of this church were erected and the
chancel and chancel aisle restored A.D.1900 by Henry Lord Belper
in memory of his son William Strutt born Feb.8th. 1875, died
Oct.5th 1898".


Listing NGR: SK5018427742

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.