History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Anne

A Grade II* Listed Building in Sutton Bonington, Nottinghamshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.8206 / 52°49'14"N

Longitude: -1.2484 / 1°14'54"W

OS Eastings: 450744

OS Northings: 325044

OS Grid: SK507250

Mapcode National: GBR 8K5.36D

Mapcode Global: WHDHH.SCPJ

Entry Name: Church of St Anne

Listing Date: 13 October 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1242374

English Heritage Legacy ID: 441775

Location: Sutton Bonington, Rushcliffe, Nottinghamshire, LE12

County: Nottinghamshire

District: Rushcliffe

Civil Parish: Sutton Bonington

Built-Up Area: Sutton Bonington

Traditional County: Nottinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Sutton Bonington

Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham

Find accommodation in
Kegworth

Listing Text

SUTTON BONINGTON ST. ANNE'S LANE
SK 52 NW
(north side)
4/110 Church of St. Anne
13.lO.66
II*
Parish church. C13, C14, C19, restored 1860 and 1877, 1903.
Ashlar and dressed coursed rubble. Slate roofs with decorative
ridge to the chancel. Coped gables with single ridge crosses to
the east and west chancel. Nave with west bellcote, north aisle
and vestry, south porch and chancel. Buttressed. The south
nave is set on a moulded plinth and the north aisle on a
chamfered plinth. C19 gabled bellcote with 2 arches each with
single bell. The west nave wall has a single C19 arched 3 light
window with intersecting tracery, hood mould and label stops.
The west wall of the aisle has a single similar smaller C14
restored 3 light window. The north wall has a single C14 arched
2 light window with Y tracery. Projecting from the left is the
gabled 1903 vestry with Caernarvon arched doorway in the west
wall and single arched 3 light window with intersecting tracery,
hood mould and label stops in the north wall. The east wall has
a single trefoil. To the left of the vestry in the aisle is a
single similar 2 light C14 window. The east wall of the aisle
has a single C14 window with 2 arched lights under a flat arch.
The north wall of the chancel has a single C14 window with 2 ogee
arched and cusped lights under a flat arch. To the left is a
single window with 2 round arched lights under a flat arch. The
east chancel has a single restored C14 arched window with
intersecting tracery and hood mould. The apex is decorated with
blind cusped tracery. The south wall of the chancel has a single
cinquefoil arched light. To the left is a single small
rectangular light and on the far left a single small C14 arched 2
light window with Y tracery, hood mould and label stops. The
south nave has a single similar larger C14 window with hood mould
and label stops and continuous sill band broken by the gabled C19
porch with chamfered arched entrance and single quatrefoil over,
east wall with single small rectangular opening. Interior with
re-used ashlar benches and inner moulded arched doorway with hood
mould and label stops. To the left is a single similar C14 2
light window with hood mould and label stops. Interior. 3 bay
C14 nave arcade with octagonal column and respond to the west and
circular column to the east, the eastern respond being a corbel.
Moulded capitals and double chamfered arches. Double chamfered
chancel arch, the inner order supported on octagonal columns and
moulded capitals. Traceried screen. The south east chancel
window has a low sill forming a sedilia. To the left is a
rectangular piscina. The north wall with depressed moulded
arched tomb recess containing a damaged C15 alabaster effigy of a
Knight. To the left is a recess for the organ. The south nave
wall has a small arched piscina. The south and west nave and the
north wall of the aisle have continuous sill bands broken by the
doorways. The north wall of the aisle with doorway to the
vestry. C14 octagonal font decorated with quatrefoil panels, C19
cover, remaining furniture C19 with carved reredos. The south
wall has a Benefactions board. The west window of the nave
probably by Morris & Co. South east chancel window by Moore &
Co., London.


Listing NGR: SK5074425044

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.