History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Thrumpton Hall and Attached Range of Outbuildings

A Grade I Listed Building in Thrumpton, Nottinghamshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.8764 / 52°52'35"N

Longitude: -1.2477 / 1°14'51"W

OS Eastings: 450730

OS Northings: 331259

OS Grid: SK507312

Mapcode National: GBR 8JD.PCF

Mapcode Global: WHDH3.TY1R

Entry Name: Thrumpton Hall and Attached Range of Outbuildings

Listing Date: 14 May 1952

Last Amended: 12 October 1987

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1242464

English Heritage Legacy ID: 441832

Location: Thrumpton, Rushcliffe, Nottinghamshire, NG11

County: Nottinghamshire

District: Rushcliffe

Civil Parish: Thrumpton

Traditional County: Nottinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Thrumpton

Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham

Find accommodation in
Barton in Fabis

Listing Text

THRUMPTON THRUMPTON HALL DIRVE
SK 53 SW
(south side)
2/132 Thrumpton Hall and
attached range of
outbuildings (formerly
14.5.52 and 13.10.66 listed as the Hall and
Old Dairy, 2 separate
items)
G.V. I
Small country house and attached outbuildings. House completed
by 1617 for Gervase Pigot. 1660s altered and improved by his
son Gervase, late C18 further alterations made for John
Wescomb Emerton, c.1830 alterations, extensions and restorations
carried out for John Emerton Wescomb, restored mid C20. Red
brick with ashlar dressings. House with flush ashlar quoins and
set on a chamfered ashlar plinth. Plain tile roofs. H-plan with
loggias and lower wing to the east which connects the house to
the stable block. North/entrance front with single central stack
with 5 tall shafts, the central 3 set diagonally. Single stack
to the left with flush ashlar quoins and 4 shafts. Parapet with
moulded ashlar coping and ashlar band extending under. 2 storeys
plus cellar and attic, 7 bays. The outer 2 bays on each side
project and are gabled with probably 1660s decorative ashlar
crestings topped with broken horned pediments containing single
orb finials. Cellar with 6 two light ashlr mullion openings.
Central 3 bays with single storey loggia topped with balustraded
parapet 3 round arches with ashlar impost bands and keystones.
Central arch open forming a porch with inner late C18 window with
2 ogee arched lights with hexgonal glazing bars and single
central quatrefoil. C17 dripmould over. In the right wall is a
doorway with panelled door. The other arches each with single
C19 fixed light with octagonal glazing bars. Further right and
left are 2 similar 2 light windows with C17 drip moulds. Above
are 6 similar windows and drip moulds. In each gable apex is a
single similar window. The parapet to the central bays with 2
two light ashlar mullion casements each flanked by single ashlar
strips. Single similar central strip. All other windows apart
from those of the loggia with flush ashlar quoin surrounds. 2
decorative rainwater heads, one with the Pigot arms and crests,
both with brackets to the downpipes dated 1662. Extending in
front of the house is a terrace, balustraded to the west and
north. Attached to the left of the house and set back slightly
is a 2 storey, single bay C19 wing with dogtooth eaves. Single
casement on each floor with hexgonal glazing bars. Behind this
is a C17 wing, the side wall with single ashlar mullion casement
and single ashlar cross casement above. Projecting from the side
wall is a 2 storey plus attic, single bay wing with single 2
light ashlar mullion casement and single ashlar casement above,
both with dripmoulds. The attic with single hipped roof dormer
with single casement. Projecting from the left is a single bay
two and a half storey wing each floor with single casement in
ashlar surround. The ground and first floors with drip moulds.
To the left and projecting is the 2 storey plus garret /C19
kitchen wing with Flemish gable. Single ridge glass and lead
C19 cupola. Gable end of 2 bays with 2 casements on each floor
in ashlar surrounds. Single ashlar clock face in the apex. To
the left and set back is a 2 storey plus garret, 2 bay wing with
similar gable. 2 casements with doorway to the left, 2 casements
above. Most casements with hexgonal glazing bars. West front
with 2 external stacks, each with 3 shafts and flush ashlar
quoins. The parapet to the left as the entrance front and
parapet to the right shaped with moulded ashlar coping.
Reconstructed 1660s wall between the shafts, top floor with flush
ashlar quoins with a balustraded parapet. Continuous ashlar
lintel bands to all openings here apart from the top floor. Left
stack with single ashlar mullion 2 light casement, blocked arch
over. Blocked segmental arch in right stack. Central bays with
doorway with glazed and panelled door. Over the band is a
segmental arched ashlar pediment with imposts and pendant
keystone and single small carved grotesque. Above are 2 ashlar
cross casements with 2 similar casements above and single similar
casement on the top floor to the right is a single ashlar mullion
2 light casement. The windows are staggered in order to light
the stair. All openings with flush ashlar quoin surrounds.
Garden/south front 2 storeys plus attic, 5 bays. The single
outer bays project and have gables as the entrance front.
Central parapet similar to the entrance front. The central 3
bays with slightly projecting single storey loggia topped with
balustrade. The loggia was brought forward in the late C18 and
enclosed c.1830. 3 bay ashlar arcade with Doric columns and
responds and keystones, the single central bay with glazed and
panelled door with fanlight. Either side are single sashes with
balustrades under and single similar fanlights. Further left and
right are single arched ashlar fixed lights with pendant
keystones, single transoms and flush ashlar quoin surrounds. In
each outer bay is a single C17 3 light ashlar cross sash. 2
similar smaller 3 light windows above, the central 3 bays with 3
similar 2 light windows. The garrets each with single 3 light
ashlar mullion sash, all with moulded dripmoulds. The attic has
2 hipped roof dormers each with single glazing bar casement. All
windows apart from the loggia sashes with decorative glazing
bars. Most ashlar windows with flush ashlar quoin surrounds.
Extending in front of the house is a formal garden enclosed by a
low red brick wall with shaped ashlar coping and broken in parts.
Wall with several small piers topped with decorative urns.
Adjoining the right of the house and set back is an irregular 2
storey, 3 bay wing with some C17 ashlar and ashlar mullion
windows. Projecting from the right is the rear of the c.1830
stable block with 4 ridge stacks. 5 bays. 5 half dormers with
Flemish gables each with single fixed lights with hexgonal
glazing bars, ashlar surround and drip mould. Projecting from
the rear right of this wing is a further 9 bay stable block
range. The outer single bays project and have Flemish gables.
Single swimilarsmaller central bay with segmental arched doorway.
Remaining bays with fixed lights in ashlar surrounds and with
hexagonal glazing bars. Projecting from the rear right is a
further stable range with brick coped right gable with kneelers.
Tudor arched entrance into courtyard. Attached to the right is a
red brick wall terminating in the early C17 Old Dairy. Single
storey plus attic, 2 bays. Set on a rubble plinth. Left/south
gable stack, this gable being brick coped with kneelers, right
Flemish gable. 2 first floor raised brick and dogtooth bands. 2
casements with single half dormer above with Flemish gable and
single casement. The right gable wall with single tripartite
casement on each floor. Rear with doorway and plank door and
single casement in the attic. All casements with hexgonal
glazing bars and in ashlar surrounds. Projecting from the rear
is a red brick wall termainting in the kitchen wing. Interior.
Panelled library formed c.1830. Entrance hall probably panelled
in the 1660s, further decorated with 2 pillars, pilasters abd
shields. Arched doorways with keyblocks and panelled spandrels
lead off. Ashlar fireplace with keystone flanked by single
pilasters. Late C18 paved floor extending to the staircase hall.
Fine 1660s open well staircase, the balustrade carved with
foliate scrolls, similarly carved and decorated dados
incorporating newels. Carved strings. Newels with foliate and
grape carving topped with acanthus urns further decorated with
carved fruit. Carved pendants to newels. Fireplace with eared
architrave with decorative panelling to the sides and topped with
urns. 8 mid C17 doorcases with eared architraves, the overdoors
with carved swags and scrolls. Those on the ground floor topped
with broken egg and dart pediments containing coats of arms.
Each doorcase differing in decoration, some more elaborate. Some
further decorated with carved heads and carved fruits. Single
doorway with fine panelled door, panels containing single ovals,
the spandrels with raised panelling. 1660s panelled saloon. The
marble fireplace with decorative overmantel flanked by single
foliate decorative strips topped with single brackets, further
flanked by single decorative pilasters finely decorated with
foliate and fruit drops. The cornice further decorated with
lions' masks, c.1780 decorated ceiling. Mid C18 console-tables
and mirrors in situ. Oak room with grained panelled walls.
Pulvinated bay leaf brieze, egg and dart cornice. Fireplace with
fluted surround, topped with scrolled broken pediment containing
a single cartouche and a pair of cornucopias. Either side are
single Ionic pilasters with arched blind panels with small impost
and key blocks. Dining room with raised deep panelled late C17
ceiling. Late C18 fireplace removed from a house in Harley
Street. Other rooms with Nottingham alabaster and Hopton marble
fireplaces, panelling, decorative cornices and ceilings. The
kitchen with large fireplace with keyblock. Centre of ceiling
rising into the cupola. Stud partition to early C17 dogleg
staircase with moulded rails, panelled newels, including a double
newel topped with bulbous orbs. Newels incorporated into the
wall. Single rail of plaster. Roof with stud partition retains
much of its C17 structure. Country Life May 21, May 28 and June
4, 1959.


Listing NGR: SK5073031259

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.