This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.5768 / 50°34'36"N
Longitude: -3.8108 / 3°48'38"W
OS Eastings: 271879
OS Northings: 76791
OS Grid: SX718767
Mapcode National: GBR QD.C4RD
Mapcode Global: FRA 27XJ.TDD
Plus Code: 9C2RH5GQ+PM
Entry Name: Church of St Pancras
Listing Date: 23 August 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1242571
English Heritage Legacy ID: 442034
Location: Widecombe in the Moor, Teignbridge, Devon, TQ13
Civil Parish: Widecombe in the Moor
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Widecombe-in-the-Moor St Pancras
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX 77 NW THE-MOOR THE-MOOR
2/260 Church of St Pancras
Parish Church. C15 "restored in 1874 and subsequent years". Tower and nave roof
repaired after being struck by lightning in 1638. Tower, south and east sides of
body of church of granite ashlar, remainder of granite rubble. Slated roofs. Nave,
north and south aisles, north and south transepts, chancel, north and south chancel
chapels, south porch, west tower; vestry, of some antiquity, on north side of north
chancel chapel. Windows are Perpendicular and contain a considerable amount of
unrestored work; detail is mostly in granite, apart from some heavily restored
limestone at the east end. Arches are pointed, except for the north and south sides
of the nave and south side of south chancel chapel which have 3 cinquefoiled lights
under a flat arch. Tudor priest's door on south side of chancel. Blocked doorway
with pointed arch in west wall of north aisle. South porch is single-storeyed;
moulded inner and outer doorways with pointed arches, wagon-roof. Tower, plainly a
later addition, is very fine and a famous local landmark. 3 stages; clasping
buttresses with offsets, each of which carries a pinnacle. Crenellated parapet with
large octagonal pinnacle at each corner. Heavily moulded west door. Unusually
elaborate belfry openings of 3 lights.
Interior: nave and chancel have a continuous arcade of 6 arches each side;
octagonal columns with double-chamfered arches. Moulded tower arch with attached
shafts. Transepts have moulded 4-centred arches of wood. Simple piscinas in south
transept and chancel chapel, south wall of chancel. Stone rood stair in north
chancel chapel. Wagon roofs throughout. Lower part of medieval wood screen, with
painted figures, across nave and aisles. Some C17 granite tomb-slabs.
Sources: R Dymond, ed., Widecombe, 1876, pp.89-98. Kelly's Directory of
Devonshire, 1906, p.804.
Listing NGR: SX7188076788
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings