This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.7863 / 53°47'10"N
Longitude: -1.7898 / 1°47'23"W
OS Eastings: 413947
OS Northings: 432236
OS Grid: SE139322
Mapcode National: GBR J9N.89
Mapcode Global: WHC9G.G3Y6
Plus Code: 9C5WQ6P6+G3
Entry Name: Church of St Wilfrid
Listing Date: 23 November 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1242614
English Heritage Legacy ID: 442089
Location: Bradford, BD7
Electoral Ward/Division: Great Horton
Built-Up Area: Bradford
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Bradford St Wilfrid with St Columba
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SE 13 SW BRADFORD ST WILFRED'S ROAD,
CHURCH OF ST WILFRID
Parish church. 1904-05, fittings added 1908 and 1925-26. Designed by Temple Moore. Coursed rubble stone with ashlar dressings and plain tile roofs plus coped gables with finials. Nave and chancel under single roof, with tall aisles under linked though slightly shallower pitched roofs. East front has low single storey, flat roofed, porch with two shouldered arch doorways with plank doors, either side single small windows. Above two very tall pointed arch windows each 3-light with panel tracery and a large buttress between with set-offs. In gable a circular window with tracery and hood mould. Either side two projecting square buttresses which rise above the gables. Aisles have single 3-light flat headed mullion windows with Tudor hoods and above single 2-light pointed arch windows with geometrical tracery and hood moulds. At north-east corner gabled bellcote with plain tile roof North side has western doorway approached up external steps with to right two 2-light mullion windows. Beyond six 2-light pointed arch windows with y -tracery and hood moulds, then a round arched chamfered doorway with hood mould. West front has three small central lancets, and above tall 3-light pointed arch window with intersecting tracery flanked by single shorter 2-light windows. South aisle has shouldered arch doorway and above a 2-light pointed arch window with geometrical tracery. South side has 4-light segment arched window to left and to right six 3-light pointed arch windows. INTERIOR has 5 bay arcades with moulded ashlar arches and single shaft responds, plus single shafts rising moulded wooden roof arches. Continuous plaster roof to nave and chancel, aisles have exposed wooden roofs. Gallery passage through north and south window arches. Wooden screens to north-east chapel. Wooden choir stalls, and wooden altar with gilded and painted panels. Elaborate wooden pulpit with tester. Stone font with six shafts supporting bowl. This is a fine example of the work of one of England's best Edwardian church architects.
Listing NGR: SE1394732236
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings