History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Rectory

A Grade II Listed Building in Farnham, Surrey

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2138 / 51°12'49"N

Longitude: -0.8002 / 0°48'0"W

OS Eastings: 483896

OS Northings: 146755

OS Grid: SU838467

Mapcode National: GBR DB3.VXQ

Mapcode Global: VHDY2.2RSB

Entry Name: The Rectory

Listing Date: 26 April 1950

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1242675

English Heritage Legacy ID: 443521

Location: Farnham, Waverley, Surrey, GU9

County: Surrey

District: Waverley

Civil Parish: Farnham

Built-Up Area: Farnham

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey

Church of England Parish: Farnham

Church of England Diocese: Guildford

Find accommodation in
Farnham

Listing Text

1099 UPPER CHURCH LANE
(North West Side)
The Rectory

SU 8346 NE 5/58 26.4.50
II

Mid C18 altered. 2 storeys and attic, red brick on projecting plinth, painted brick string at 1st floor level and elaborate painted and moulede wood waves cornice with fireze of fluted scroll brackets. Old tile roof. 2 early C20 gables dormers with tile-hung gable ends and 3-light casement windows. 5 segmental windows on 1st floor and 4 similar windoes on ground floor. Central 6-panelled door with upper 4 panels glazed, with moulede architrave frame and plain arched fanlight under and open gabled proch (circa 1900) with heavy timbers painted white tiled roof. The House has evidently originally had a Doric porch as the remains od sawn-off Doric columns were visible under the present porch. The door is approached by a flight of stone steps. The house has a 2-storey extension to the right hand (circa 1900) with small gable, tile hung, and casement windows with hopper lights in each floor. A 1-storey extension of simialr design and date has been built to the Left hand.

The listed buildings in Upper Church Lane (North West side), Churchyard, Middle Church Lane, Lower Church Lane (West end), Church Passage and Vicarage Lane, form a group.

Listing NGR: SU8389046761

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description

1099 UPPER CHURCH LANE
(North West Side)
The Rectory

SU 8346 NE 5/58 26.4.50
II

Mid C18 altered. 2 storeys and attic, red brick on projecting plinth, painted brick string at 1st floor level and elaborate painted and moulede wood waves cornice with fireze of fluted scroll brackets. Old tile roof. 2 early C20 gables dormers with tile-hung gable ends and 3-light casement windows. 5 segmental windows on 1st floor and 4 similar windoes on ground floor. Central 6-panelled door with upper 4 panels glazed, with moulede architrave frame and plain arched fanlight under and open gabled proch (circa 1900) with heavy timbers painted white tiled roof. The House has evidently originally had a Doric porch as the remains od sawn-off Doric columns were visible under the present porch. The door is approached by a flight of stone steps. The house has a 2-storey extension to the right hand (circa 1900) with small gable, tile hung, and casement windows with hopper lights in each floor. A 1-storey extension of simialr design and date has been built to the Left hand.

The listed buildings in Upper Church Lane (North West side), Churchyard, Middle Church Lane, Lower Church Lane (West end), Church Passage and Vicarage Lane, form a group.

Listing NGR: SU8389046761

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.