History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Civic Centre

A Grade II* Listed Building in South Jesmond, Newcastle upon Tyne

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.9785 / 54°58'42"N

Longitude: -1.61 / 1°36'36"W

OS Eastings: 425058

OS Northings: 564947

OS Grid: NZ250649

Mapcode National: GBR SPR.YB

Mapcode Global: WHC3R.74L7

Entry Name: Civic Centre

Listing Date: 16 November 1995

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1242692

English Heritage Legacy ID: 443538

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1

County: Newcastle upon Tyne

Electoral Ward/Division: South Jesmond

Built-Up Area: Newcastle upon Tyne

Traditional County: Northumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear

Church of England Parish: Jesmond Clayton Memorial Church

Church of England Diocese: Newcastle

Find accommodation in
Jesmond

Listing Text


NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE
NZ2465SE GREAT NORTH ROAD . Civic Centre
1833-/14/10055
II*
Civic centre: Council Chamber, banqueting hall, associated civic suite and local government offices. Designed 1950, site start 1956, 4-storey blocks 1958, 12 storey block 1960-63, council suite 1965. G W Kenyon, City Architect. Concrete structure, faced generally with Portland stone ashlar, also Cornish granite, Broughton Moor stone, hand made bricks; double glazed windows, bronze frames. Many high quality materials internally, including Norwegian slate, Portuguese marble, English oak, travertine. Courtyard plan:- 12 storey office block to north (with tower and carillon at west end), 4-storey blocks to east and south (rates hall), 2 and 3-storey civic suite to west over vaulted arcade, banqueting hall extending to north and elliptical council chamber on columns extending to west. Civic suite especially designed to very high standard, showing Celtic/Scandinavian influences and executed with a high standard of craftsmanship. Building contains important examples of public art, including:- Geoffrey Clarke: aluminium gates at main entrance and in banqueting hall; David Dewey: carved lettering; John Hutton: engraved glass screen in entrance area; J R Murray:' sea horses on carillon; Victor Pasmore: glazed murals in rates hall; John Piper: Aubusson Tapestry, north wall of banqueting hall; Charles Sansbury: external flambeaux and metal screens: David Wynne: River God Tyne external sculpture and Swans in Flight (courtyard). Also the Wren stone, adjacent to south door of block 3 -understood to be one of the original stones selected by Wren for St Pauls Cathedral 'and bears his signature of approval'. The Civic Centre is an important public building of the period; the quality of materials and craftsmanship is extremely high and the building contains numerous works of art of high quality. .


Listing NGR: NZ2505864947

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description


NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE
NZ2465SE GREAT NORTH ROAD . Civic Centre
1833-/14/10055
II*
Civic centre: Council Chamber, banqueting hall, associated civic suite and local government offices. Designed 1950, site start 1956, 4-storey blocks 1958, 12 storey block 1960-63, council suite 1965. G W Kenyon, City Architect. Concrete structure, faced generally with Portland stone ashlar, also Cornish granite, Broughton Moor stone, hand made bricks; double glazed windows, bronze frames. Many high quality materials internally, including Norwegian slate, Portuguese marble, English oak, travertine. Courtyard plan:- 12 storey office block to north (with tower and carillon at west end), 4-storey blocks to east and south (rates hall), 2 and 3-storey civic suite to west over vaulted arcade, banqueting hall extending to north and elliptical council chamber on columns extending to west. Civic suite especially designed to very high standard, showing Celtic/Scandinavian influences and executed with a high standard of craftsmanship. Building contains important examples of public art, including:- Geoffrey Clarke: aluminium gates at main entrance and in banqueting hall; David Dewey: carved lettering; John Hutton: engraved glass screen in entrance area; J R Murray:' sea horses on carillon; Victor Pasmore: glazed murals in rates hall; John Piper: Aubusson Tapestry, north wall of banqueting hall; Charles Sansbury: external flambeaux and metal screens: David Wynne: River God Tyne external sculpture and Swans in Flight (courtyard). Also the Wren stone, adjacent to south door of block 3 -understood to be one of the original stones selected by Wren for St Pauls Cathedral 'and bears his signature of approval'. The Civic Centre is an important public building of the period; the quality of materials and craftsmanship is extremely high and the building contains numerous works of art of high quality. .


Listing NGR: NZ2505864947

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.