This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.275 / 54°16'30"N
Longitude: -0.4012 / 0°24'4"W
OS Eastings: 504202
OS Northings: 487774
OS Grid: TA042877
Mapcode National: GBR TMM0.X9
Mapcode Global: WHGC0.TT32
Plus Code: 9C6X7HGX+2G
Entry Name: Church of St Martin
Listing Date: 8 June 1973
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1242903
English Heritage Legacy ID: 443962
Location: Scarborough, North Yorkshire, YO11
County: North Yorkshire
Electoral Ward/Division: Ramshill
Built-Up Area: Scarborough
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Scarborough St Martin
Church of England Diocese: York
TA 0487 ALBION ROAD
782/6/189 (South side)
08-JUN-73 CHURCH OF ST MARTIN
Parish church. 1861-62 by G F Bodley. An early and exceptionally fine example of this architect's oeuvre. Largely ashlar faced in the Gothic Revival style with tall tower at north side of east end with saddle-back roof. Nave with high clerestory, aisle and chancel. Large rose window at west end. Porches to sides. INTERIOR very lofty with wooden wagon roof. Decorations and stained glass by Morris & Co. Pulpit with 10 painted panels by D G Rossetti, Ford Madox Brown and William Morris. Ceiling decoration of chancel by William Morris and Philip Webb. Altar wall has blind bar tracery by Bodley containing "Adoration of the Magi' by Edward Burne-Jones. Reredos and roodscreen of 1889 by Bodley. Large organ case by Bodley, the paintings on west side by Spencer Stanhope.
The decoration of the church was one of Morris & Co's earliest major commissions.
Listing NGR: TA0419687771
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings