History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Roman Catholic Church of St Augustine

A Grade II Listed Building in Park East, Darlington

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.5239 / 54°31'26"N

Longitude: -1.5598 / 1°33'35"W

OS Eastings: 428586

OS Northings: 514382

OS Grid: NZ285143

Mapcode National: GBR KJK4.32

Mapcode Global: WHC5X.0KH7

Entry Name: Roman Catholic Church of St Augustine

Listing Date: 24 July 1990

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1242908

English Heritage Legacy ID: 352132

Location: Darlington, DL3

County: Darlington

Electoral Ward/Division: Park East

Built-Up Area: Darlington

Traditional County: Durham

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham

Church of England Parish: Darlington Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: Durham

Find accommodation in
Darlington

Listing Text

DARLINGTON CONISCLIFFE ROAD
NZ 2814 SE (North side)

8/34A CHURCH OF ST AUGUSTINE
Roman Catholic Church

II

Roman Catholic Church. 1825-7. Originally designed by Ignatius Bonomi, 1865
enlarged and remodelled by Joseph Hanson, 1899 enlarged again. Ashlar with
ashlar dressings. Slate roofs with ashlar coped gables and kneelers, plus cross
finials. Rusticated quoins and chamfered plinth. 4-bay nave, with narrower
2-bay chancel, all under the same roof. West end has a pair of tall, 3-light
mullion and transom windows with shallow pointed arch heads and trefoil
tracery. Between is a pointed arch niche with an elaborate crocketted
surround. Above a louvred pointed opening. The north wall has 4 tall 3-light
mullion and transom windows with shallow pointed arch heads and trefoil tracery
to the nave, and 2 shorter similar 3-light windows to the chancel. The east
chancel wall is blank. The south wall of the chancel also has two 3-light
windows plus a low single storey vestry in front. The south nave wall has 3
tall, 3-light mullion and transom windows with shallow pointed arch heads with
trefoil tracery. The westernmost window is partly obscured by a single storey
porch, which has a pair of short lancets and a pointed and chamfered doorway
with double plank doors. Beyond to the west is an octagonal stone tower, with a
tall lancet to each alternate face and above a bellcote with a single lancet to
each face; the whole is topped by a short octagonal spire with lucarnes.
Interior: the nave has a large western gallery supported on iron columns. A
plain collar beam roof with arched braces. The chancel has elaborately carved
roof panels. The fittings are largely c.1899 with an elaborated carved and
painted reredos.
Source: The Darlington Catholics: A history up to 1866 by G Wild.


Listing NGR: NZ2858614382

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.