This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.1962 / 51°11'46"N
Longitude: 0.065 / 0°3'53"E
OS Eastings: 544380
OS Northings: 146138
OS Grid: TQ443461
Mapcode National: GBR LMD.Z3H
Mapcode Global: VHHQ3.26Q9
Entry Name: Church House
Listing Date: 10 September 1954
Last Amended: 13 September 1996
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1242994
English Heritage Legacy ID: 357191
Location: Edenbridge, Sevenoaks, Kent, TN8
Civil Parish: Edenbridge
Built-Up Area: Edenbridge
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Church of England Parish: Edenbridge St Peter and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Rochester
TQ4446 EDENBRIDGE HIGH STREET
12/440 Number 72,
GV II* (star)
Former farmhouse, later town council offices. 1378-13962 bay hall with service crosswing to south and parlour room to north with early C :16 kitchen extension to west and possible other alterations, floored over and chimneystack inserted in late C16 and refronted and other alterations of late C18 or early C19. Timberframed building refronted ill diaper brickwork with blue headers to east but with fishscale tiles to south east gable, some exposed framing with curved braces and plaster infilling to first floor of south front and square framing with brick infill to ground floor, mixture of plain and fishscale tiles to north front and some square framing visible above brickwork to west wing. Tiled roof with off central ridge stack and external sandstone and brick stack to south. Two storeys. East front has four cambered window openings with one blank and three lead casements in wooden frames. C18 panelled door in moulded frame to left and C 19 wooden doorway in square porch to left. Parapet, brick bands and plinth. Left side gable is jettied with moulded plaster soffit. Tripartite sash window to gable and casements to ground floor. South front has large external stack with sandstone base. West front has three casements with leaded lights and C20 plank door in moulded architrave. West wing of one storey and attics with twelve pane sash with cambered head and gabled dormer. C20 extension to extreme west not of special interest. Interior has post and panel boarding to north wall of south ground floor room, which also has exposed floor joists of square section, Jacobean plank and muntin panelling, an C18 serpentine shelved corner cupboard and C18 two panelled door. Hall has early C 19 brick floor laid in herringbone pattern. Central room contains inserted open fireplace with wooden bressumer with spandrels and two spice alcoves and seats. North side has Jacobean plank and muntin panelling and fragment of moulded dais beam with ogee moulding. Two inch chamfered spine beam with lambs, tongue stops and similar floor joists. North bay, former parlour, has exposed joists of square section.
Early C19 staircase with stick balusters. First floor has jowled posts, wide oak floorboards and early C19 plank doors. Six panelled door to south east room has L-hinge to top and cock's head hinge to base. Octagonal crownpost with 4 head braces and northernmost bay has saltire bracing. Early C 19 attic stairs. C16 west wing has two inch chan,:1fered floor joists with lambs tongue stops and crownpost roof of very late form with three thin braces to central truss. Smoke-blackened timbers suggest there was originally an open hall. This may have been a k1tchen and there may have been a timber chimneystack at one stage. this property was originally known as Doggetts. A will of 1577 refers to building work at this property which probably dates the flooring over of the open hall and insertion of the chimney.
[Royal Commission Report no 39657 by Sarah Pearson of October 1989 and supplementary notes of September 1995. Study by Donald W Insall and Associates of October 1995.]
Listing NGR: TQ4438046138
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings