This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4452 / 51°26'42"N
Longitude: 0.7465 / 0°44'47"E
OS Eastings: 590956
OS Northings: 175374
OS Grid: TQ909753
Mapcode National: GBR RS1.9K8
Mapcode Global: VHKJ0.WYH0
Plus Code: 9F32CPWW+3J
Entry Name: Building Number 86
Listing Date: 25 April 1994
Last Amended: 13 August 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1243082
English Heritage Legacy ID: 446562
Location: Swale, Kent, ME12
Electoral Ward/Division: Sheerness
Built-Up Area: Sheerness
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
TQ 9075 SE QUEENBOROUGH IN SHEPPEY JETTY ROAD
933/5/10002 Sheerness Dockyard
Building Number 86
Dockyard building, use unknown, disused. Late C19, after 1889; NE block added after the two earlier ones c1900. Iron frame with brick infill to lower walls, hipped corrugated iron roof to N block and gabled corrugated iron roof to NE block; gabled slate roof to S block. PLAN: 3 sections, a rectangular plan S block with square plan block to N and large external chimney to N of later NE block. EXTERIOR:
.single-storey 6-bay S block with upper timber small-paned windows above brick-filled panels, continued round to S gable, which has tall doorway to centre. Similar double tier of fenestration to taller 5- bay N block, also continued round to N end; lantern surmounts hipped roof. 2-storey; 5-bay NE block, with a steel frame and brick panels, roofed parallel to N block and with upper floor clad in corrugated iron above strips of original glazing. INTERIOR: S block has steel or cast-iron H-section columns and wrought-iron trusses, with curved compression members to roof. N block has H-section columns with an iron roof with queen and princess rods and angled struts, and a collar supporting the louvre. NE block has timber roof. HISTORY: probably built for ship repairing and sited to the E of Sir John Rennie's 1820s dry docks (qv); part of a group with them and the Boat store and Building 84 (qqv). The N block was built on the site of supplying kilns, themselves built between 1847 and 1862. A later dockyard building within Rennie's planned layout, with group value with the other listed structures.
Sources: Sheerness the Dockyard, Defences and Blue Town: 1995; NMR BI NO 92379.
Listing NGR: TQ9095675374
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings