History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Congregational Church Including Front Railings, Gate and Cobbled Surface Adjoining to South

A Grade II Listed Building in Sandford, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.8102 / 50°48'36"N

Longitude: -3.6644 / 3°39'51"W

OS Eastings: 282832

OS Northings: 102507

OS Grid: SS828025

Mapcode National: GBR L8.Y9HT

Mapcode Global: FRA 366Y.Q6N

Entry Name: Congregational Church Including Front Railings, Gate and Cobbled Surface Adjoining to South

Listing Date: 20 May 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1243112

English Heritage Legacy ID: 445841

Location: Sandford, Mid Devon, Devon, EX17

County: Devon

District: Mid Devon

Civil Parish: Sandford

Built-Up Area: Sandford

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Sandford St Swithin

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Crediton

Listing Text

SS 80 SW SANDFORD CHURCH STREET
(north side), Sandford

3/224 Congregational Church
including front railings,
gate and cobbled surface
adjoining to south

GV II


Congregational Church. 1848 according to datestone. Snecked volcanic stone with
Beer stone dressings. Large gable-ended building housing the church to the front
with 2-storey meeting rooms behind and vestibule and porch projecting from south
front. Vestibule is a small gable-ended block, running across the buttresses
rising as high and large square-sectioned, flanking standards with gabled heads;
the right-hand buttress includes a Beer stone plaque inscribed 'Jas. Parish Buller,
1848'. Large arch-headed porch door with hoodmould contains studded oak door with
ornate Gothick strap hinges. Vestibule has small arch-headed windows, one each
side of porch. 3-window south front over porch comprising large Beer stone
lancets. Each has hoodmould with inverted bell-shaped labels and has multi-paned
cast iron frames with interlace heads. Diagonal buttresses each side and Beer
stone coping to relatively low pitch roof. Each long side has 3 full-height arch-
headed lancets with cast iron frames, and rear elevation has 3 arch-headed windows
similar to front. Mostly original interior to church. 2 arch-headed doors from
entrance lobby. Roof hidden by C20 ceiling. Canted, panelled gallery projecting
from north wall with round-headed alcove, containing organ. It is flanked by
large panels containing painted ribbon tenets framed by pilasters and simple
entablature. Contemporary rostrum, communion rails and pews. Front (south)
graveyard is enclosed by contemporary railings. They are set on volcanic footings
and comprise heavy, square-sectioned uprights with large unusual spear heads. On
south-east side there are large, square-sectioned volcanic ashlar gate-posts with
pyramid caps iron gates and a wrought iron over-throw decorated with scrolls and
clasping a lantern. A stone pier similar to gate post at south-west. Well-
preserved Congregational Church and unusual in being situated next to the Parish
Church.


Listing NGR: SS8283502503

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.