History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Tudor Cottages

A Grade II Listed Building in Bourne, Lincolnshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.7658 / 52°45'56"N

Longitude: -0.3754 / 0°22'31"W

OS Eastings: 509712

OS Northings: 319924

OS Grid: TF097199

Mapcode National: GBR GVW.MWH

Mapcode Global: WHGLD.6RH1

Entry Name: Tudor Cottages

Listing Date: 29 September 1972

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1243149

English Heritage Legacy ID: 441295

Location: Bourne, South Kesteven, Lincolnshire, PE10

County: Lincolnshire

District: South Kesteven

Civil Parish: Bourne

Built-Up Area: Bourne

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Bourne St Peter and St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Bourne

Listing Text


1.
878 SOUTH STREET
(East Side)

Nos 34 & 34A
(Tudor Cottages)
TF 0919 10/36

II GV

2.
2 cottages, also know as Trollope Bedehouses. One storey, red brick.
Stone-capped gable end, plinth and rusticated quoins. Coved eaves cornice.
Old slate roof, 4 hipped dormers. 6 windows, modern leaded lights and
wood mullions of C17 type. Central door under 4-centred stone arch.
Plaque with date 1636, but building has been much modernised. NMR.
Excavations in 1933 showed the foundations of a large house on this and
the adjoining site, possibly occupied by Sir John Thimbleby, one of the
leaders of the Pilgrimage of Grace in 1536.

Nos 31 to 35 (odd), Nos 32, 34, 34A, 36, Parish Church of St Peter and
St Paul and the Old Grammar School form a group.


Listing NGR: TF0971219924

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description


1.
878 SOUTH STREET
(East Side)

Nos 34 & 34A
(Tudor Cottages)
TF 0919 10/36

II GV

2.
2 cottages, also know as Trollope Bedehouses. One storey, red brick.
Stone-capped gable end, plinth and rusticated quoins. Coved eaves cornice.
Old slate roof, 4 hipped dormers. 6 windows, modern leaded lights and
wood mullions of C17 type. Central door under 4-centred stone arch.
Plaque with date 1636, but building has been much modernised. NMR.
Excavations in 1933 showed the foundations of a large house on this and
the adjoining site, possibly occupied by Sir John Thimbleby, one of the
leaders of the Pilgrimage of Grace in 1536.

Nos 31 to 35 (odd), Nos 32, 34, 34A, 36, Parish Church of St Peter and
St Paul and the Old Grammar School form a group.


Listing NGR: TF0971219924

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.