History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Facade of Former Syon Sunday School

A Grade II Listed Building in Halifax, Calderdale

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7252 / 53°43'30"N

Longitude: -1.8578 / 1°51'28"W

OS Eastings: 409478

OS Northings: 425430

OS Grid: SE094254

Mapcode National: GBR HTGC.LC

Mapcode Global: WHC9M.FMKK

Entry Name: Facade of Former Syon Sunday School

Listing Date: 23 November 1973

Last Amended: 24 March 2010

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1243170

English Heritage Legacy ID: 446311

Location: Calderdale, HX1

County: Calderdale

Electoral Ward/Division: Town

Built-Up Area: Halifax

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Halifax The Minster Church of St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Halifax

Listing Text


679/14/266 WINDING ROAD
23-NOV-73 HALIFAX
(West side)
FACADE OF FORMER SYON SUNDAY SCHOOL

(Formerly listed as:
WINDING ROAD
HALIFAX
PREMISES OF MESSERS SCIPIO BROOK LIMIT
ED (FORMER SYON SCHOOL))
(Formerly listed as:
WINDING ROAD
HALIFAX
BUS STATION, EASTERN FACADE)

II

Former Syon School facade, 1866, now the eastern facade of Bus Station,

EXTERIOR: The remaining building forms the eastern facade of the bus station. It is built in ashlar and is single storey. It has Doric pilasters and a projecting central bay with a triangular pediment within which is the date of 1866. Below is an inscription reading JUBILEE / SION SUNDAY SCHOOL / MEMORIAL. There are 3 round arched openings with keystones, the central one blocked. To either side are wings, each with a round arched window flanked by round headed niches. Above is a full entablature with a modillion cornice. The building behind dates to 1988 and is not of special interest.

HISTORY: The Sion or Syon chapel was in existence by 1854 when the First Edition OS map was published. The Sunday School to the north was built in 1866, and is still marked as a Sunday School on maps up to 1933. By 1938, although the chapel survived, the school was no longer marked, though the building remained. By 1962-3 it was in use as a 'works' and later a warehouse. The majority of the building was demolished by 1988 and it now forms the eastern façade of the bus station. It was Listed at Grade II in 1973.

REASONS FOR DESIGNATION
The east facade of the bus station, Halifax, is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Architecture: the fragment is a very good example of Victorian classical style, well constructed in good materials with a well-balanced design
* Historic Interest: it is an important reminder of a significant element in the history of Halifax, demonstrating the strength and wealth of Non-Conformist worship in the town

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description


679/14/266 WINDING ROAD
23-NOV-73 HALIFAX
(West side)
FACADE OF FORMER SYON SUNDAY SCHOOL

(Formerly listed as:
WINDING ROAD
HALIFAX
PREMISES OF MESSERS SCIPIO BROOK LIMIT
ED (FORMER SYON SCHOOL))
(Formerly listed as:
WINDING ROAD
HALIFAX
BUS STATION, EASTERN FACADE)

II

Former Syon School facade, 1866, now the eastern facade of Bus Station,

EXTERIOR: The remaining building forms the eastern facade of the bus station. It is built in ashlar and is single storey. It has Doric pilasters and a projecting central bay with a triangular pediment within which is the date of 1866. Below is an inscription reading JUBILEE / SION SUNDAY SCHOOL / MEMORIAL. There are 3 round arched openings with keystones, the central one blocked. To either side are wings, each with a round arched window flanked by round headed niches. Above is a full entablature with a modillion cornice. The building behind dates to 1988 and is not of special interest.

HISTORY: The Sion or Syon chapel was in existence by 1854 when the First Edition OS map was published. The Sunday School to the north was built in 1866, and is still marked as a Sunday School on maps up to 1933. By 1938, although the chapel survived, the school was no longer marked, though the building remained. By 1962-3 it was in use as a 'works' and later a warehouse. The majority of the building was demolished by 1988 and it now forms the eastern façade of the bus station. It was Listed at Grade II in 1973.

REASONS FOR DESIGNATION
The east facade of the bus station, Halifax, is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Architecture: the fragment is a very good example of Victorian classical style, well constructed in good materials with a well-balanced design
* Historic Interest: it is an important reminder of a significant element in the history of Halifax, demonstrating the strength and wealth of Non-Conformist worship in the town

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.