History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Trent and Mersey Canal Middle Bridge Number75 at Sj 9948 2341

A Grade II Listed Building in Colwich, Staffordshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.8085 / 52°48'30"N

Longitude: -2.0086 / 2°0'31"W

OS Eastings: 399516

OS Northings: 323441

OS Grid: SJ995234

Mapcode National: GBR 286.WJ8

Mapcode Global: WHBDW.3NSS

Entry Name: Trent and Mersey Canal Middle Bridge Number75 at Sj 9948 2341

Listing Date: 10 February 1995

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1243215

English Heritage Legacy ID: 446844

Location: Colwich, Stafford, Staffordshire, ST18

County: Staffordshire

District: Stafford

Civil Parish: Colwich

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire

Church of England Parish: Great Haywood St Stephen

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Shugborough

Listing Text

COLWICH TRENT AND MERSEY
SJ 92 SE CANAL
19/10013
Middle Bridge No 75 at
SJ 9948 2341
- II

Canal accommodation bridge. Late C18. Brick with stone coping. Single span with towpath and humped back. Segmental headed arch. Swept wings terminating in piers at all 4 corners. Stone plaque at crown on both sides. Stone springing stones. Wooden post with cast iron guard plate at corner of jamb on north towpath side. Pipeline attached to south side through brickwork of abutments. Minor repairs to parts of south side and north side jambs. The Trent and Mersey Canal was built between 1766 and 1777 by James Brindley and Hugh Henshall.
Charles Hadfield, The Canals of the West Midlands (1966)
Jean Lindsay, The Trent and Mersey Canal (1979)


Listing NGR: SJ9951623441

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description

COLWICH TRENT AND MERSEY
SJ 92 SE CANAL
19/10013
Middle Bridge No 75 at
SJ 9948 2341
- II

Canal accommodation bridge. Late C18. Brick with stone coping. Single span with towpath and humped back. Segmental headed arch. Swept wings terminating in piers at all 4 corners. Stone plaque at crown on both sides. Stone springing stones. Wooden post with cast iron guard plate at corner of jamb on north towpath side. Pipeline attached to south side through brickwork of abutments. Minor repairs to parts of south side and north side jambs. The Trent and Mersey Canal was built between 1766 and 1777 by James Brindley and Hugh Henshall.
Charles Hadfield, The Canals of the West Midlands (1966)
Jean Lindsay, The Trent and Mersey Canal (1979)


Listing NGR: SJ9951623441

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.