History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Public Library

A Grade II Listed Building in Scarborough, North Yorkshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.2812 / 54°16'52"N

Longitude: -0.4012 / 0°24'4"W

OS Eastings: 504190

OS Northings: 488464

OS Grid: TA041884

Mapcode National: GBR TLMY.Y2

Mapcode Global: WHGC0.TN49

Entry Name: Public Library

Listing Date: 22 December 1953

Last Amended: 8 June 1973

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1243447

English Heritage Legacy ID: 447302

Location: Scarborough, North Yorkshire, YO11

County: North Yorkshire

District: Scarborough

Town: Scarborough

Electoral Ward/Division: Castle

Built-Up Area: Scarborough

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Scarborough St Mary

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Scarborough

Listing Text

1. VERNON ROAD
1605
Public Library
(formerly listed as
Liiterary and Mechanics
institute)
TA 0488 4/170 22.12.53.

II GV


2.
Designed by J Gibson and W Johnson. Established in 1830, 2 storeys, ashlar
stone, The front is 5 bays with the 3 centre bays recessed with 4 colwms. The
ground floor order is Greek Doric with the entablature carried, across the front.
The 1st floor order is Ionic with entablature surmounted by tall panelled parapet,
The recessed bays have windows and the end bays have windows 4 panes wide on
ground floor and recessed arched panels on the 1st floor with carved wreath in
tympana of the arch. The panelled parapet breaks forward over the end bays and
the panels are divided by strip pilasters with tile cornice coping of the parapet
breaking forward over each. The right hand corner of the building has 1 bay
on the angle. North side has 4 bays with panels on 1st floor and windows on
ground floor. The South side has 3 arched recesses on the 1st floor.

The Public Library and Nos 1, 2, 4, 6 form a group.


Listing NGR: TA0419088464

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description

1. VERNON ROAD
1605
Public Library
(formerly listed as
Liiterary and Mechanics
institute)
TA 0488 4/170 22.12.53.

II GV


2.
Designed by J Gibson and W Johnson. Established in 1830, 2 storeys, ashlar
stone, The front is 5 bays with the 3 centre bays recessed with 4 colwms. The
ground floor order is Greek Doric with the entablature carried, across the front.
The 1st floor order is Ionic with entablature surmounted by tall panelled parapet,
The recessed bays have windows and the end bays have windows 4 panes wide on
ground floor and recessed arched panels on the 1st floor with carved wreath in
tympana of the arch. The panelled parapet breaks forward over the end bays and
the panels are divided by strip pilasters with tile cornice coping of the parapet
breaking forward over each. The right hand corner of the building has 1 bay
on the angle. North side has 4 bays with panels on 1st floor and windows on
ground floor. The South side has 3 arched recesses on the 1st floor.

The Public Library and Nos 1, 2, 4, 6 form a group.


Listing NGR: TA0419088464

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.