History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Borough of Scarborough Jail

A Grade II Listed Building in Scarborough, North Yorkshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.2854 / 54°17'7"N

Longitude: -0.4089 / 0°24'31"W

OS Eastings: 503679

OS Northings: 488920

OS Grid: TA036889

Mapcode National: GBR TLLW.8K

Mapcode Global: WHGC0.PKH2

Entry Name: The Old Borough of Scarborough Jail

Listing Date: 10 January 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1243590

English Heritage Legacy ID: 447605

Location: Scarborough, North Yorkshire, YO12

County: North Yorkshire

District: Scarborough

Town: Scarborough

Electoral Ward/Division: North Bay

Built-Up Area: Scarborough

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Scarborough St Columba

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Scarborough

Listing Text

DEAN ROAD
1.
5341

TA 0388 3/224 The Old Borough of
Scarborough Jail
II


2.
Old Borough of Scarborough Jail. 1866 by William Baldwin Stewart and Alexander Taylor.
Closed 1878, now Council depot. Stone faced brick perimeter wall, brick with slate
roof. Wall: gothick, crenellated with 4 turrets and arrow slits. Entrance; crenellated,
machicolated, elliptical arch with grotesque corbely between 4 arrow slits set above
each other, two on each side; circular plaque on parapet carved with seal of Borough
and circular inscription:
SIGILLVM COMVNE BVRGERSIV.DE SCARDEBVRG +
On either side, 2 turrets, 3 storeys; 3 round headed sash window.ground floor; 1st
floor, pointed 2-light window with Y-tracery and transoms set between 2 arrow slits;
3rd floor.'2 pointed sash windows. Adjacent wall to left: crenellated 2 storey,
lancets 2:2; to right crenellated with gabled door, 3-light pointed sash window ground
floor and 1 and 2 light pointed sash window 1st floor. all continues in brick with
stone corbel table to plain parapet punctuated by the crenellated towers with arrow
slits: Central block 3 storeys 3 bay facade with gabled entrance and paired, 6-point
sash windows. Stacks corbelled out on either side of lancet - lit central gable.
Elevation: 3 storeys, 10 bays, barred windows. Ventilation shaft over top lit central
wall. Interior wall preserved with original cell fittings and spiral staircase. The
complex includes sexagonal guard room, 1 storey with 9-pane sashes, in side the
entrance; two ranges of 1-storey workshops, much altered and two auxilliary rectangular
stone houses.


Listing NGR: TA0367988920

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description

DEAN ROAD
1.
5341

TA 0388 3/224 The Old Borough of
Scarborough Jail
II


2.
Old Borough of Scarborough Jail. 1866 by William Baldwin Stewart and Alexander Taylor.
Closed 1878, now Council depot. Stone faced brick perimeter wall, brick with slate
roof. Wall: gothick, crenellated with 4 turrets and arrow slits. Entrance; crenellated,
machicolated, elliptical arch with grotesque corbely between 4 arrow slits set above
each other, two on each side; circular plaque on parapet carved with seal of Borough
and circular inscription:
SIGILLVM COMVNE BVRGERSIV.DE SCARDEBVRG +
On either side, 2 turrets, 3 storeys; 3 round headed sash window.ground floor; 1st
floor, pointed 2-light window with Y-tracery and transoms set between 2 arrow slits;
3rd floor.'2 pointed sash windows. Adjacent wall to left: crenellated 2 storey,
lancets 2:2; to right crenellated with gabled door, 3-light pointed sash window ground
floor and 1 and 2 light pointed sash window 1st floor. all continues in brick with
stone corbel table to plain parapet punctuated by the crenellated towers with arrow
slits: Central block 3 storeys 3 bay facade with gabled entrance and paired, 6-point
sash windows. Stacks corbelled out on either side of lancet - lit central gable.
Elevation: 3 storeys, 10 bays, barred windows. Ventilation shaft over top lit central
wall. Interior wall preserved with original cell fittings and spiral staircase. The
complex includes sexagonal guard room, 1 storey with 9-pane sashes, in side the
entrance; two ranges of 1-storey workshops, much altered and two auxilliary rectangular
stone houses.


Listing NGR: TA0367988920

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.