History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Five Monuments in Churchyard South and South East of Chancel of the Church of the Holy

A Grade II Listed Building in Seend, Wiltshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.3474 / 51°20'50"N

Longitude: -2.0813 / 2°4'52"W

OS Eastings: 394434

OS Northings: 160925

OS Grid: ST944609

Mapcode National: GBR 2TX.GM2

Mapcode Global: VH96Y.WD2F

Entry Name: Five Monuments in Churchyard South and South East of Chancel of the Church of the Holy

Listing Date: 3 April 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1243611

English Heritage Legacy ID: 447676

Location: Seend, Wiltshire, SN12

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Seend

Built-Up Area: Seend

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Find accommodation in
Seend

Listing Text

SEEND CHURCH LANE
ST 9460
13/273 Five monuments in churchyard
south and south-east of
chancel of Church of the Holy Cross

GV II

Five chest tombs, C18 to early C19, ashlar. From north:
a) Unidentified monument, early C18, with oval south side plaque
with foliate scroll decoration each side, foliate decoration to
angle piers, two north side shield plaques with similar pier
between, shield west plaque and east cartouche. Moulded base
and cornice with pulvinated frieze broken forward over piers.
b) Mayell monument, late C18, with 2 raised fielded plaques each
side, floral drop to centre pier, husk drop to angles, moulded
base and cornice with fluted frieze. Inscription to William
Mayell, d.1786.
c) Miles monument, c1800, with large oval framed plaque each side,
cherub head spandrels, drapery drop each side and fluted
baluster angles. East end inscription to John Miles, d.1799.
d) Hains monument, c1800, with 2 plaques each side, paired husk
drop centre, fluted angle piers with rosettes, moulded base and
cornice with fluted frieze. Inscription to Ann Hains d.1828.
e) Gurnick monument, late C18 with two fielded square plaques each
side, fluted centre strip, fluted baluster angles and cornice
with fluted frieze. Inscription to James Gurnick, d.l793.


Listing NGR: ST9443460925

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.