History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

50, West Street

A Grade II Listed Building in Farnham, Surrey

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2122 / 51°12'44"N

Longitude: -0.8067 / 0°48'24"W

OS Eastings: 483444

OS Northings: 146568

OS Grid: SU834465

Mapcode National: GBR DB3.T0W

Mapcode Global: VHDY1.YSWK

Entry Name: 50, West Street

Listing Date: 3 July 1990

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1243701

English Heritage Legacy ID: 447870

Location: Farnham, Waverley, Surrey, GU9

County: Surrey

District: Waverley

Civil Parish: Farnham

Built-Up Area: Farnham

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey

Church of England Parish: Farnham

Church of England Diocese: Guildford

Find accommodation in
Farnham

Listing Text

SU 8346 NW FARNHAM WEST STREET
4/400 No 50
II
Engineering works, later ambulance station. Late C19. Red brick in English bond with stock brick dressings and C20 pantiles. Gable front with stone and brick coping and kneelers. Gable has plaque with 'GEO ELLIOTT'. First floor has 2 circular windows and round-headed loading door opening with keystone. Large cambered opening with keystone and impost blocks to ground floor. 4 cambered metal casements to sides. Wooden double doors. Interior of 4 bays with plain boarding. Included for historical interest as a plaque recalls that 'John Henry Knight's car. one of Britain's earliest petrol driven vehicles was built here' by George Parfitt at the Elliott Reliance Works 1895'. This car is believed to be the first petrol driven vehicle on English roads and is now housed in the National Motor Museum at Beaulieu.


Listing NGR: SU8344446557

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description

SU 8346 NW FARNHAM WEST STREET
4/400 No 50
II
Engineering works, later ambulance station. Late C19. Red brick in English bond with stock brick dressings and C20 pantiles. Gable front with stone and brick coping and kneelers. Gable has plaque with 'GEO ELLIOTT'. First floor has 2 circular windows and round-headed loading door opening with keystone. Large cambered opening with keystone and impost blocks to ground floor. 4 cambered metal casements to sides. Wooden double doors. Interior of 4 bays with plain boarding. Included for historical interest as a plaque recalls that 'John Henry Knight's car. one of Britain's earliest petrol driven vehicles was built here' by George Parfitt at the Elliott Reliance Works 1895'. This car is believed to be the first petrol driven vehicle on English roads and is now housed in the National Motor Museum at Beaulieu.


Listing NGR: SU8344446557

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.