This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.3497 / 51°20'59"N
Longitude: -2.0746 / 2°4'28"W
OS Eastings: 394903
OS Northings: 161186
OS Grid: ST949611
Mapcode National: GBR 2TX.BBK
Mapcode Global: VHB4F.0B3M
Plus Code: 9C3V8WXG+V5
Entry Name: Seend Green House
Listing Date: 19 March 1962
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1243836
English Heritage Legacy ID: 448247
Location: Seend, Wiltshire, SN12
Civil Parish: Seend
Built-Up Area: Seend
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
SEEND HIGH STREET
12/301 Seend Green House
House, late C17 altered and extended 1760 for Mary Duchess of
Somerset, ashlar with slate low-pitched hipped roofs. Square plan
3-storey main house with L-plan east end 3-storey service range.
Main north front has moulded plinth, dripcourse stepped over ground
floor windows, plain string over first floor, moulded cornice and
parapet. Windows all recessed chamfered 2-light mullion windows
with traces of removed transom. Early C19 small-paned sashes with
Gothic pointed glazing bars to top panes. Six-panel door in
moulded architrave set in early C19 Tudor-arched ashlar porch with
carved arms. West end wall is rubble stone with string, cornice
and parapet carried round and 5-window range of blocked openings to
two upper floors. Ground floor has c1900 projecting room,
rendered with parapet and 3-window range to south front matching
windows of main range adjoining. South front is apparently c1760
but uneven spacing of 6-window range suggests that it incorporates
part of C17 house. String courses, moulded cornice and parapet,
sash windows in plain raised surrounds, 12-pane to second floor,
15-pane to first floor and French windows to ground floor.
Openings of fourth bay are false. Half glazed door in third bay
in moulded architrave with segmental pediment on consoles, obscured
by early C19 Roman Doric porch. All windows have Gothic heads to
top panes. From north-east angle projects L-plan service wing
with various c1900 lower additions to south. Rendered with ashlar
cornice and parapet and 2-light windows in plain architraves, 4
windows visible on second floor of south front, ground floor and
part of first floor obscured. Blank rubble stone east wall has
plaque under cornice 'Built by the Dfs of Somerset 1760' and fine
lead rainwater head. North front, rendered, has one-window range
of 2-light windows to projecting left side and similar one-window
range to right side, in line with main north front, from which the
string courses are continued in cement. Windows have sashes with
Gothic heads to top panes.
Interior: early C19 Gothic cornices to main rooms on south front
and early C19 staircase. House was the principal house of Seend
from the C17, said to date from 1620. In the 1660s the house was
owned by John Somner (1622-70), friend of John Aubrey and in 1716
passed to Edward Seymour, who became 8th Duke of Somerset 1750 and
died 1757. The house was rebuilt for his widow (d.1768) in 1760,
and remained in possession of the Dukes of Somerset into the C19.
The early C19 alterations were probably for C. Tylee, banker who
leased the house c1820-5.
(J. Aubrey, Natural History of Wiltshire, ed. J. Britton, 1847, 21;
E. Bradby, Seend A Wiltshire Village, 1981, 36, 185-91)
Listing NGR: ST9490361186
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings