This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.3485 / 51°20'54"N
Longitude: -2.0808 / 2°4'50"W
OS Eastings: 394471
OS Northings: 161044
OS Grid: ST944610
Mapcode National: GBR 2TX.GR2
Mapcode Global: VH96Y.WCBM
Plus Code: 9C3V8WX9+9M
Entry Name: The Manor House
Listing Date: 19 March 1962
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1243854
English Heritage Legacy ID: 448271
Location: Seend, Wiltshire, SN12
Civil Parish: Seend
Built-Up Area: Seend
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
SEEND HIGH STREET
12/306 The Manor House
(formerly listed as Seend
19.3.62 Manor House)
Country House, 1767 for Ambrose Awdry IV, extended to north in
early C19, ashlar main range, with slate mansard roof and end
stacks, north front rendered with ashlar dressings, slate hipped
roof and west end stack. Basement, 2-storeys and attic. Fine 5-
window formal south front with high moulded plinth, ground floor
sill-band, modillion cornice and parapet. Plain 12-pane sash
windows to both floors, ground foor centre altered to French window
with steps up. Five flat dormers. Three-window end-walls with
blank windows, mouldings carried around and pediment feature on
broad stacks with three blank panels, pediment over and concave-
curved coping each side. East end wall has fine lead rainwater
heads dated 1767. East end former kitchen with moulded plinth,
moulded cornice and large c1900 four-light mullion-and-transom
south window. North range is added, probably around stair-
projection of 1767 house, of which hipped roof is visible. West
end is ashlar with 2-window range of blank windows, and panelled
chimney with ramped coping. Five-window north front has ashlar
plinth, angle piers, thin cornice and parapet and plain ashlar
surrounds to upper windows. Eight-pane sashes throughout,
tripartite to first floor centre. Render lined as ashlar above
and channel-rusticated below with arches over windows. Centre
half-glazed door with traceried fanlight in Ionic ashlar 2-column
porch with pilaster responds raised on three stone steps.
Interior: 1767 range has exceptional ground floor rooms with fine
plaster friezes and panelled doors in heavy pedimented surrounds.
Dining room to east, has large marble fireplace with pulvinated
frieze. Drawing-room, to west, has fine parti-coloured marble
fireplace with scrolled jambs. Plaster friezes to entrance hall,
first floor landing and small first floor centre room which has
Palladian tripartite surrounds to doorway and cupboards each side.
Staircase, with turned balusters, appears part of forward extension
of house c1820. Former kitchen at east end has large Tudor-arched
stone fireplace with similar Tudor-arched recesses each side,
probably all mid to late C18.
Ambrose Awdry II bought the site in 1695 and built a 'mansion
house' before 1701. Ambrose Awdry IV inherited 1761, rebuilt it
1767 and was outlawed for debt 1783. Ambrose Awdry V regained
the house in 1812 and the north front may have been added by him.
(E. Bradby, Seend A Wiltshire Village, 1981, 74, 196-7.
Listing NGR: ST9447161044
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings