This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5452 / 51°32'42"N
Longitude: -0.0653 / 0°3'54"W
OS Eastings: 534256
OS Northings: 184693
OS Grid: TQ342846
Mapcode National: GBR Y0.G8
Mapcode Global: VHGQT.TFCB
Entry Name: Hackney Free and Parochial School
Listing Date: 17 October 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1243892
English Heritage Legacy ID: 448364
Location: Hackney, London, E8
Electoral Ward/Division: Dalston
Built-Up Area: Hackney
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Michael and All Angels London Fields
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ 4384 WILTON WAY
735/25/10031 Hackney Free and Parochial School
Primary school building, formerly the Wilton Road Board School, 1886 by T.J.Bailey, architect, for the School Board for London. Yellow stock brick with red brick edging and some roughcast plaster in places on the upper storey. Steeply pitched tiled roof with deep eaves. Four paired stacks. Principal elevation to Wilton Way: three-storey block of six bays. Symmetrical composition with outer bays recessed and the adjacent bays slightly projecting from the central, two-bay portion. Each bay is articulated by a tall attic-storey window which breaks through into the roofline. These are distinguished by bracketed brick pediments, ornamental brick bases and shell motif in the gablets. They are flanked by pairs of smaller windows with white-painted sashes and flat heads. Large, round-headed windows to ground and first floor. The side elevations are each of three bays with two tall windows at attic storey level in ornamental surrounds. Rear elevation: similar to front but distinguished by a wide, 3-storey canted bay in the central portion for the school halls, with its own steeply pitched roof with gablet. Interior not inspected.
Only the main school building is of special interest.
Listing NGR: TQ3425684693
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings