History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Michael

A Grade II* Listed Building in Camden Town with Primrose Hill, London

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5401 / 51°32'24"N

Longitude: -0.1415 / 0°8'29"W

OS Eastings: 528985

OS Northings: 183993

OS Grid: TQ289839

Mapcode National: GBR D2.D2

Mapcode Global: VHGQS.HKK6

Entry Name: Church of St Michael

Listing Date: 10 June 1954

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1244156

English Heritage Legacy ID: 476823

Location: Camden, London, NW1

County: London

District: Camden

Electoral Ward/Division: Camden Town with Primrose Hill

Built-Up Area: Camden

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St Pancras Old Church

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Highgate

Listing Text

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 15/01/2016


TQ2883NE
798-1/76/157

CAMDEN,
CAMDEN ROAD (North side),
Church of St Michael

10/06/54

II*

Church. Nave & aisles 1880-1, chancel 1893-4 by GF Bodley and T Garner. Vestries added 1908. Yellow stock brick with stone dressings; tiled roof. 7-bay aisled nave with clerestory and sanctuary. Decorated Gothic style. North-south orientated.
EXTERIOR: entrance on (liturgical) north facade, where tower originally intended. Liturgical west end fronting road with pointed 5-light traceried window above which a belfry in the gable apex; stone and brick bands flanking window and clasping buttresses at angles. Flanking aisle ends with pointed 2-light traceried windows, right hand with ogee doorway and hood-mould. Flying buttresses over aisles, above which a pointed 3-light traceried window to each bay. Projecting vestries at (liturgical) south-east corner. INTERIOR: of stone with continuous, stenciled waggon roof to nave and chancel, vaulted above north chapel, from liturgical east to west broken by stone arches (necessitating the external flying buttresses). 5-bay nave with aisles, 3-bay chancel with shorter north chapel, south chancel aisle filled by organ and passage to vestries. No chancel arch, a manner much preferred by Bodley in his later churches. Chancel retains altar from 1880-1, reredos bears stencil work from 1880-1 and a later (probably 1939) decorative scheme of Christ in Majesty, set on Bodley's favourite marble steps; sedilia on south wall. Brass in chancel floor to Edward Bainbridge Reynolds (1844-1907), founding incumbent, 1908. Parclose screen between chancel and chapel of 1893-4, filled with stone tracery to Bodley's design in 1898. Chapel with Easter sepulchre having gilded canopy and hanging lamp, altar and reredos with marble panels. Organ in south aisle purchased 1932. The church given dado panelling to Bodley's characteristic design in 1893-4; this links the new and old work. Reading desk (undated) and pulpit (1910) on line of chancel steps. Statue of St Michael, 1939. Floor is several steps below the level of Camden Road, with stone flags to aisles. Vestries in more perpendicular style. Clergy vestry panelled with vestment chests. The choir vestry simpler - retained vestry chest at time of listing, but now no longer in situ.
HISTORICAL NOTE: the "beauty of proportion and whiteness" of the interior determined the young Ninian Comper (later a pupil of Bodley) to become an architect. An intended massive tower was never built. Listed grade II* for interior.

(Survey of London: Vol. XXIV, King's Cross Neighbourhood, Parish of St Pancras IV: London: -1952: 137).

Listing NGR: TQ2898583993

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 15/01/2016


TQ2883NE
798-1/76/157

CAMDEN,
CAMDEN ROAD (North side),
Church of St Michael

10/06/54

II*

Church. Nave & aisles 1880-1, chancel 1893-4 by GF Bodley and T Garner. Vestries added 1908. Yellow stock brick with stone dressings; tiled roof. 7-bay aisled nave with clerestory and sanctuary. Decorated Gothic style. North-south orientated.
EXTERIOR: entrance on (liturgical) north facade, where tower originally intended. Liturgical west end fronting road with pointed 5-light traceried window above which a belfry in the gable apex; stone and brick bands flanking window and clasping buttresses at angles. Flanking aisle ends with pointed 2-light traceried windows, right hand with ogee doorway and hood-mould. Flying buttresses over aisles, above which a pointed 3-light traceried window to each bay. Projecting vestries at (liturgical) south-east corner. INTERIOR: of stone with continuous, stenciled waggon roof to nave and chancel, vaulted above north chapel, from liturgical east to west broken by stone arches (necessitating the external flying buttresses). 5-bay nave with aisles, 3-bay chancel with shorter north chapel, south chancel aisle filled by organ and passage to vestries. No chancel arch, a manner much preferred by Bodley in his later churches. Chancel retains altar from 1880-1, reredos bears stencil work from 1880-1 and a later (probably 1939) decorative scheme of Christ in Majesty, set on Bodley's favourite marble steps; sedilia on south wall. Brass in chancel floor to Edward Bainbridge Reynolds (1844-1907), founding incumbent, 1908. Parclose screen between chancel and chapel of 1893-4, filled with stone tracery to Bodley's design in 1898. Chapel with Easter sepulchre having gilded canopy and hanging lamp, altar and reredos with marble panels. Organ in south aisle purchased 1932. The church given dado panelling to Bodley's characteristic design in 1893-4; this links the new and old work. Reading desk (undated) and pulpit (1910) on line of chancel steps. Statue of St Michael, 1939. Floor is several steps below the level of Camden Road, with stone flags to aisles. Vestries in more perpendicular style. Clergy vestry panelled with vestment chests. The choir vestry simpler - retained vestry chest at time of listing, but now no longer in situ.
HISTORICAL NOTE: the "beauty of proportion and whiteness" of the interior determined the young Ninian Comper (later a pupil of Bodley) to become an architect. An intended massive tower was never built. Listed grade II* for interior.

(Survey of London: Vol. XXIV, King's Cross Neighbourhood, Parish of St Pancras IV: London: -1952: 137).

Listing NGR: TQ2898583993

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.