This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.1862 / 51°11'10"N
Longitude: 0.1533 / 0°9'11"E
OS Eastings: 550580
OS Northings: 145205
OS Grid: TQ505452
Mapcode National: GBR LMQ.HLJ
Mapcode Global: VHHQ4.LFWZ
Plus Code: 9F3255P3+F8
Entry Name: Larkins Farmhouse
Listing Date: 8 January 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1244189
English Heritage Legacy ID: 449042
Location: Chiddingstone, Sevenoaks, Kent, TN8
Civil Parish: Chiddingstone
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Church of England Parish: Penshurst St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Rochester
Farmhouse. C17 with probably circa 1830s alterations; shown with an outline conforming
to the present on Penshurst Parish Tithe Plan of 1838-40. Brick ground floor;
tile-hung upper floors. Plain tile roof. Two storeys and attic. Three bays. Wood
framed mullioned and partly transomed windows, with hexagonal and lozenge leaded
glazing. On ground floor, a five-light canted bay window with transom each side of
doorway with door with cover strips and four-centred head and six-pane overlight.
Cantilevered centre bay above the doorway with two-light transomed first floor window
and attic window in gable with decorative bargeboard and pendant. To each side on
first floor, a three-light mullioned window. Small window to each end attic gable.
Single storey wing to right hand. Projecting enjoined wings in north with three
Interior: ground floor with lofty kitchen with stopped and chamfered beams. Hall
with stopped and chamfered beam; C19 six panel doors to front rooms and ledged doors
to rear; C19 straight baluster staircase. S.E. ground floor room with stopped and
chamfered beams, wide inglenook fireplace with chamfered bressumer and flanking C19
six panel doors. S.W. ground floor room with stopped and chamfered beam. First Floor;
jowls of posts visible in front wall; four panel doors; C19 fireplace surrounds and
grates in front and N.E. rooms. Second floor through purlin and butt purlin roof;
oak boards to middle room.
Said to be a C13 foundation; Larkins or Lorkins Farm passed into Streatfield family
ownership in C17; Streatfield initials on shelves.
Listing NGR: TQ5058045205
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings