This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.1676 / 51°10'3"N
Longitude: 0.136 / 0°8'9"E
OS Eastings: 549435
OS Northings: 143100
OS Grid: TQ494431
Mapcode National: GBR LMW.R69
Mapcode Global: VHHQ4.9XR8
Entry Name: Truggers Oast
Listing Date: 9 December 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1244199
English Heritage Legacy ID: 449083
Location: Chiddingstone, Sevenoaks, Kent, TN8
Civil Parish: Chiddingstone
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Church of England Parish: Chiddingstone St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Rochester
TQ 44SE CHIDDINGSTONE
53/1500 HOATH CORNER
Former maltings with added hop kiln. Main part is probably early C18
with some early C19 alterations, hop kiln early to mid C19. Main part of
stowage comprises 2 ranges forming a T shape. The larger range is of 4
bays timber framed in oak with the ground floor cut away and replaced
with brickwork in stretcher bond in the early C19 on the elevation
facing the farmhouse. The ground floor may originally have been open.
First floor is clad with tiles. Roof pegtiled but tiles not present at
time of survey. 3 casements with pargetted plaster aprons. Rear
elevation has 1st floor plaster pargetting with a pointed pattern and
border done with respectively the point and flat end of the trowel.
Originally this range was of 2 storeys and attics but the floors are now
missing. Staggered purlin roof chamfered with run out stops and no
ridge piece. Upright posts have jowls with cut profiles. 4 openings
for diamond mullioned windows, each side of which the mortise holes
remain; and also some shutter grooves. The shutters would have been
used to store hops in darkness. First floor frame has lath and plaster
infill and some diagonal tension braces. Posts are of thin scantling
and some are rough hewn. Internal partition between the third and
fourth bay has some brickwork at the base, part of which is reused C16 or
early C17. Circular hop kiln inserted into this range in first half of
C19. Brick in English garden wall bond variant, roof originally tiled
but not present at time of survey. The T range appears to have been
built at the same time as the larger range. Also timber framed with
base of red brick on sandstone plinth; mainly C19 but incorporating
some early C17 and some C18 brickwork. Originally weatherboarded
above. Internally there are four smaller bays with staggered purlin
roofs and run out stops to purlins. One bay has green posts. Jowled
upright posts with cut profile. Traces of smoke blackening to some roof
timbers suggests use for smoking or firing.
The building is shown on an estate map of 1761.
Listing NGR: TQ4935343078
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings