History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II Listed Building in Sevenoaks, Kent

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2702 / 51°16'12"N

Longitude: 0.1798 / 0°10'47"E

OS Eastings: 552155

OS Northings: 154596

OS Grid: TQ521545

Mapcode National: GBR MN3.B88

Mapcode Global: VHHPS.2BDL

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 18 April 1990

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1244255

English Heritage Legacy ID: 449175

Location: Sevenoaks, Sevenoaks, Kent, TN13

County: Kent

District: Sevenoaks

Civil Parish: Sevenoaks

Built-Up Area: Sevenoaks

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Church of England Parish: Kippington St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Rochester

Find accommodation in
Sevenoaks

Listing Text

SEVENOAKS KIPPINGTON ROAD
TQ 55 SW
4/157
CHURCH OF ST MARY
GV
II

Church. 1877-1880 by John Hooker for James Thompson in Early English Style.
Built of snecked Kentish ragstone with ashlar dressings and tiled roof. Nave with
aisles, lower apsidal-ended chancel, south west tower over porch and south tran-
sept and organ loft and vestry and hall. Massive tower in 3 stages with corner
buttresses. Lower storey has stone niche with Saint. Trefoliated-headed arch to
porch with double colonnettes and double lancet with circular window above to
west. 2nd stage has 2 lancets to each face. 3rd or bell stage has 2 lowered
lancets with 2 sets of columns and 4 small lancets below octagonal stone
crockets. Turret to east. West front of nave has 3 lancets surmounted by a rose
window. South aisle has 3 lancets divided by buttresses and 6 1 cets to clere-
storey. South transept has large traceried window and cross-shaped saddlestone.
Apsidal-ended chancel has double lancet windows with quartrefoil above. Organ
loft and vestry opposite the south transept has a similar traceried window and a
doorcaae with Caernarvon arch. North aisle has 3 lancets but clerestory has 9.
The hall attached to the north aisle is gabled with a traceried window to east and
west and Caernarvon arched door to east and west. Interior has a 4 bay arcade
with clustered columns with foliate decoration and between arches carved roundels
with scenes from the Gospels. Clerestorey above with lancet windows. West end
has 3 lancets surmounted by a rose window which has stained glass by Clayton &
Bell. The marble font is a copy of one in Florence Cathedral. Quatrefoil-shaped
bowl with putti and spiral shaped shaft with foliate base. Nearby is a decorative
bronze tablet to James Thompson who endowed the church. Roof of arched braced
type. Pulpit of Derbyshire alabaster with marble shafts and suspended hexagonal
wooden canopy. South transept has a stained glass window by Clayton & Bell
depicting Faith, Hope and Charity. Chancel has stained glass by heaton, Butler
and Bayne. Painted boarded roof depicting the firmament and angels. Original
pews and organ.


Listing NGR: TQ5215554596

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.