History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Brompton Hospital (North Block)

A Grade II Listed Building in Courtfield, London

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4906 / 51°29'26"N

Longitude: -0.1744 / 0°10'27"W

OS Eastings: 526840

OS Northings: 178430

OS Grid: TQ268784

Mapcode National: GBR 5M.1T

Mapcode Global: VHGQY.XSNP

Entry Name: Brompton Hospital (North Block)

Listing Date: 24 June 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1244331

English Heritage Legacy ID: 449372

Location: Kensington and Chelsea, London, SW3

County: London

District: Kensington and Chelsea

Electoral Ward/Division: Courtfield

Built-Up Area: Kensington and Chelsea

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: Holy Trinity with St Paul, Onslow Sq and St Augustine, Sth Kensington

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Shepherds Bush

Listing Text

The following building shall be added:

TQ 2678 SE FULHAM ROAD
(north side)
249-/55/10024 Brompton Hospital (North
Block)
GV II

Hospital for the treatment of tuberculosis and diseases of the chest. Western wing 1844-6 by Frederick J Francis, central wing completed and eastern wing added 1851-4 by Edward Buckton Lamb. Red brick with blue brick diapers and stone dressings. Slate roof pierced by tall stacks, regularly spaced and some with richly decorated chimney pots, clustered into fours in a variety of patterns reminiscent of Hampton Court. H-shaped plan with ground floor formerly of
administrative offices, museum and board room, first floor women's wards and second-floor men's wards for three or four beds each, reached via first floor entrance (blocked in 1966 by lightweight sun lounge of no merit) which leads to main staircase hall and corridor to St Luke's Chapel (q.v). Subsidiary staircases with iron balustrading in each wing.
The hospital is a formal, almost symmetrical composition of a nine-bay main range with projecting nine-bay cross wings. The composition is a mature Tudor Gothic style, each bay separated by buttresses and with four-light, four-arched uncusped traceried windows under square hood moulds with label stops. In the eastern range, canted bay windows with casements project under stone parapets, and at the junction of the range stands a ventilation tower, decorated with small-scale battlements and finials at the top, and blind windows on the sides, those on the upper stages fulled with heraldic shields typical of Lamb's work. The centrepiece of the main range is dominated by a broader entrance tower modelled on the Founder's Tower at Magdalen College, Oxford, with projecting staircase tower under a pyramidal cap. Arched entrance with label stops decorated with relief figures. The whole principal elevation with battlemented parapet.
Interior includes ground-floor board room with exposed timber ceiling, moulded four-centred arch to recess, and fireplace in stone surround by Lamb; reached via decorative iron staircase with panelled dado. The principal staircase hall at first-and second-floor level is a dramatic space with an imperial stone staircase with round-arched stone balustrading and square newels; this rises to either side of principal space under pointed stone arches, with linking balcony over entrance to chapel and with vaulted timber roof flying from stone corbels. The entrance to this space from spinal axis corridor treated as a medieval screens passage with octagonal stone columns.

Sources: Survey of London, vol. XLI, Southern Kensington: Brompton, 1983 Jeremy Taylor, Hospital and Asylum Architecture in England, 1840-1914, 1991.

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description

The following building shall be added:

TQ 2678 SE FULHAM ROAD
(north side)
249-/55/10024 Brompton Hospital (North
Block)
GV II

Hospital for the treatment of tuberculosis and diseases of the chest. Western wing 1844-6 by Frederick J Francis, central wing completed and eastern wing added 1851-4 by Edward Buckton Lamb. Red brick with blue brick diapers and stone dressings. Slate roof pierced by tall stacks, regularly spaced and some with richly decorated chimney pots, clustered into fours in a variety of patterns reminiscent of Hampton Court. H-shaped plan with ground floor formerly of
administrative offices, museum and board room, first floor women's wards and second-floor men's wards for three or four beds each, reached via first floor entrance (blocked in 1966 by lightweight sun lounge of no merit) which leads to main staircase hall and corridor to St Luke's Chapel (q.v). Subsidiary staircases with iron balustrading in each wing.
The hospital is a formal, almost symmetrical composition of a nine-bay main range with projecting nine-bay cross wings. The composition is a mature Tudor Gothic style, each bay separated by buttresses and with four-light, four-arched uncusped traceried windows under square hood moulds with label stops. In the eastern range, canted bay windows with casements project under stone parapets, and at the junction of the range stands a ventilation tower, decorated with small-scale battlements and finials at the top, and blind windows on the sides, those on the upper stages fulled with heraldic shields typical of Lamb's work. The centrepiece of the main range is dominated by a broader entrance tower modelled on the Founder's Tower at Magdalen College, Oxford, with projecting staircase tower under a pyramidal cap. Arched entrance with label stops decorated with relief figures. The whole principal elevation with battlemented parapet.
Interior includes ground-floor board room with exposed timber ceiling, moulded four-centred arch to recess, and fireplace in stone surround by Lamb; reached via decorative iron staircase with panelled dado. The principal staircase hall at first-and second-floor level is a dramatic space with an imperial stone staircase with round-arched stone balustrading and square newels; this rises to either side of principal space under pointed stone arches, with linking balcony over entrance to chapel and with vaulted timber roof flying from stone corbels. The entrance to this space from spinal axis corridor treated as a medieval screens passage with octagonal stone columns.

Sources: Survey of London, vol. XLI, Southern Kensington: Brompton, 1983 Jeremy Taylor, Hospital and Asylum Architecture in England, 1840-1914, 1991.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.