This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9624 / 52°57'44"N
Longitude: -0.8579 / 0°51'28"W
OS Eastings: 476812
OS Northings: 341169
OS Grid: SK768411
Mapcode National: GBR BLL.CWW
Mapcode Global: WHFJ1.SSPT
Entry Name: Orston Hall
Listing Date: 1 December 1965
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1244339
English Heritage Legacy ID: 448151
Location: Orston, Rushcliffe, Nottinghamshire, NG13
Civil Parish: Orston
Built-Up Area: Orston
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Orston
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
ORSTON SMITE LANE
SK 74 SE
5/125 Orston Hall
Country house. Late C17. Refronted mid C18. Alterations to
front mid C19. Billiard room 1919. Brick and coursed rubble.
Hipped and gabled slate and plain tile roofs. Ashlar dressings.
Partly rendered. Chamfered plinth. Corner pilasters. Ashlar
quoins. Moulded and dentillated eaves. First and second floor
bands at rear. Pierced balustrade. 2 ridge, single side wall and
single gable stacks. 2 storeys plus attics, 5 bays. L-plan.
Windows are mainly glazing bar sashes. Those to front have eared
and shouldered moulded architraves. Front has off-centre round
headed moulded doorcase with flanking pilasters, flanked to left
by 2 full height sashes. To right, a similar full height sash and
beyond, late C19 triple sash. Beyond, single storey billiard room
has 2 sashes. Above, 5 sashes. Above again, 3 dormers with
segmental pediments and scroll brackets, with sashes. North end
has central casement with segmental head. To right, round headed
sash. Above, 2 sashes, that to right a dummy. Rear elevation has
to left, wing with curved wall. To its right, courtyard enclosed
by curved brick wall with brick coping and segmental headed
dodorway. To left, a sash. Rear wall has to left, sash with
shutters. To its right, casement and door, all with segmental
heads. To right again, Yorkshire sash. Above, to left, 2 C18
glazing bar casements. Above again, a sash. Rainwater head
inscribed "G.G. 1796". Return angle has to left, single storey
outbuilding. To its right, timber cased lead pump with cistern
plate inscribed 'F S A 1759". to right again, door with overlight
and hood on curved brackets. Above, to left, sash with segmental
head. To right, bell on hooded bracket. Courtyard contains 2
brick lean-to outbuildings, single storey, single bay. South end
has to left projecting billiard room with a sash. To right, 2
sashes. Above, 5 sashes of different sizes. Above again, to
left, C20 leaded flat roofed dormer. Early C18 dogleg staircase
with landings. Square newels. Intersecting string and handrail.
Elaborate vase and stem balusters. Part of stud partition wall.
Central hall with framed oak panelling and beaded frieze, C19
incorporating earlier work. C19 Jacobean style fireplace.
Drawing room has early C19 plaster panelled walls and cornice.
Fireplace with pulvinated surround and overmantel with fruit
swags. Principal rafter roofs with ceilings. Stud partitions.
10 C18 2 panel doors. 5 early C19 plank doors.
Listing NGR: SK7681241169
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings