This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.3831 / 50°22'59"N
Longitude: -4.0494 / 4°2'57"W
OS Eastings: 254395
OS Northings: 55697
OS Grid: SX543556
Mapcode National: GBR Q0.T9PN
Mapcode Global: FRA 28D1.489
Plus Code: 9C2Q9XM2+67
Entry Name: The Guildhall
Listing Date: 23 April 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1244435
English Heritage Legacy ID: 473406
Location: Plympton Erle, Plymouth, PL7
Electoral Ward/Division: Plympton Erle
Built-Up Area: Plymouth
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
SX5455NW FORE STREET, Plympton St Maurice
740-1/49/486 (North side)
Guildhall. 1696 datestone, for George Treby (and the Strode
MATERIALS: roughly coursed rubble with dressed granite
rusticated quoins, dressed granite arcade and granite ashlar
arcade abutments and 1st-floor sill course and string; steep
dry slate roof with sprocketed eaves over moulded and
modillion cornice; steep asbestos slate roof to rear wing;
brick stack over rear wall of front range.
PLAN: shallow-depth front range with 2 shallow ground floor
rooms flanking a central passage and the 1st-floor rooms
deeper by projecting forward over a 3-bay arcade, plus deep
rear wing at right angles and there is a single-storey
extension on the right.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys; symmetrical 3-bay front. C20 16-pane
horned sashes to 1st floor with carved heraldic panels
between; round-arched mid-late C19 horned sashes and central
round-arched doorway with fanlight and 9-panel door set back
within arcade. Moulded round-arched arcade on Tuscan columns;
carved 2-tier keystone to central arch; rubble relieving
arches, those to left and right with plain keystones. Round
rubble arches to returns allowing pavement access, the
pavement with slate flags; sashes like the other 1st-floor
sashes to 1st-floor returns; stair outshut to right-hand
return of wing with early C19 12-pane hornless sash.
Right-hand return has late C19 2-light round-arched windows
with traceried heads. Rear has pointed-arched window with
INTERIOR: not inspected but former list description notes:
good C18 fireplace. The mayoral insignia are preserved and
include 2 silver gilt maces.
HISTORY: the Guildhall was given by the Trubys and the
Strodes, 2 important families of the neighbourhood.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Devon: London: 1989-:
Listing NGR: SX5439255705
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings