History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hunters Lodge

A Grade II Listed Building in Hampstead Town, Camden

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.5518 / 51°33'6"N

Longitude: -0.1695 / 0°10'10"W

OS Eastings: 527013

OS Northings: 185246

OS Grid: TQ270852

Mapcode National: GBR D0.XLV

Mapcode Global: VHGQS.08R6

Plus Code: 9C3XHR2J+P6

Entry Name: Hunters Lodge

Listing Date: 11 August 1950

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1244560

English Heritage Legacy ID: 476713

Location: Hampstead Town, Camden, London, NW3

County: Camden

Electoral Ward/Division: Hampstead Town

Built-Up Area: Camden

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St Peter Belsize Park

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in

Listing Text


798-1/39/86 (South side)
11/08/50 No.5
Hunter's Lodge


Detached cottage ornee. c1810. By Joseph Parkinson. For
William Tate. Stucco.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, partly with semi-basement. Irregular
facade. Main block has 2 pointed arch windows with Y-glazing
and continuous hoodmould to ground floor and ogival windows
with Y-glazing to 1st floor; to right, a large 3-light ogival
stair window with hoodmould. Cornice and crenellated parapet.
Central recessed block with 2 architraved ogival lights having
diamond pane glazing; cornice and blocking course. This block
fronted by a single storey extension with crenellated parapet
rising above the entrance to form a pediment; slightly pointed
arch entrance with hoodmould, fanlight and panelled door.
Window with hoodmould to right. To right, a C20 2-storey
garage extension. Attached to left of main block, a
crenellated wall with cross gable gate piers. Garden front has
3 round towers, central tower projecting, with ogival windows
and conical slate roofs. To right, a gabled bay with 4-light
oriel window.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
HISTORICAL NOTE: William Tate, merchant, was a lessee of the
Baltic merchant George Todd who acquired a large piece of
Belsize Park in 1808. Parkinson exhibited the designs for
Langwathby, as it was then known, at the Royal Academy in
(Camden History Society: The Streets of Belsize: London:
1991-: 60-62).

Listing NGR: TQ2701385246

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.