This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.7785 / 53°46'42"N
Longitude: -2.6851 / 2°41'6"W
OS Eastings: 354950
OS Northings: 431565
OS Grid: SD549315
Mapcode National: GBR TD3.S4
Mapcode Global: WH85M.Q9L6
Plus Code: 9C5VQ8H7+9X
Entry Name: Former Armoury, Fulwood Barracks
Listing Date: 29 March 1982
Last Amended: 4 February 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1244758
English Heritage Legacy ID: 472867
Location: Garrison, Preston, Lancashire, PR2
Electoral Ward/Division: Garrison
Built-Up Area: Fulwood
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Fulwood Christ Church
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
SD53SW FULWOOD WATLING STREET ROAD
1023/7/10004 Former Armoury, Fulwood Barracks
Detention block, now armoury. 1842-1848, Major T Foster RE, for the Ordnance Board. Sandstone ashlar with ashlar right-hand end and front lateral stacks and slate roof. Single-depth plan with rear right-hand projection.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys; 7-window range. Entrance front has a doorway 2 bays from the right with a plain surround with steps up to a C20 door with blocked overlight; 2 small left-hand and a larger right-hand window blocked, and flat-headed first-floor 6/6-pane sashes. Rear has shallow 1-window projection with blocked doorway, and a range of small cell windows, 6 on the ground floor with a window to the left all blocked, 7 on the first floor with small panes, and a left-hand 6/6-pane sash. The left-hand return has steps up to a first-floor C20 door, the right-hand return has a lower projection with raking roof and steps up to a C20 door.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
HISTORY: the barracks was built in response to anxiety over Chartist agitation. Although the south-east range has been lost, the original plan of 2 parade squares within a fortified perimeter wall is substantially intact, making Fulwood the most complete surviving example in England of the late eighteenth century concept of barrack design.
(PSA Drawings Collection, NMR: MCR 58).
Listing NGR: SD5495031565
Other nearby listed buildings