This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.7882 / 53°47'17"N
Longitude: -2.2461 / 2°14'45"W
OS Eastings: 383883
OS Northings: 432460
OS Grid: SD838324
Mapcode National: GBR DSRM.JS
Mapcode Global: WHB83.G1NQ
Plus Code: 9C5VQQQ3+7H
Entry Name: Proctors Works with Attached Chimney
Listing Date: 3 June 1991
Last Amended: 19 November 1997
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1244816
English Heritage Legacy ID: 467067
Location: Burnley, Lancashire, BB11
Electoral Ward/Division: Daneshouse with Stoneyholme
Built-Up Area: Burnley
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Burnley St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
SD8332SE HAMMERTON STREET
906-1/19/69 (East side)
03/06/91 Proctors' Works with attached
(Formerly Listed as:
Formerly known as: Cow Lane Cotton Factory HAMMERTON STREET.
Cotton spinning mill, subsequently iron works. Built between
1827 and 1844, with engine house and chimney added between
1844 and 1851; late C19 additions to the front and south end,
including offices and a large crosswing which was formerly a
roller skating rink with a provision store in the basement.
Mostly unoccupied at time of survey (1991). Coursed squared
sandstone, with slate roofs.
PLAN: the principal element is a rectangular spinning block
built on the west bank of the River Calder; with a rectangular
engine house a short distance from the north end (now linked
to it by infilling); and a chimney very close to the west side
EXTERIOR: the spinning block is a 4-storey 8-window range, the
west front mostly covered by later additions built in the
former yard, and the rear (overlooking the river) with
vertical rectangular windows which have raised sills and plain
lintels, and a tall round-headed window close to the north
end, all these windows now blocked with brick. It has gable
copings with kneelers.
A full-height one-window link of random rubble joins the
spinning block to the 4-storey 2-window boiler house, which
has similar windows in the rear wall but at the front has
remains of one semicircular arch at ground floor level, and 3
loading doorways above this.
The chimney, approximately 0.5m from the front of the boiler
house, is circular with 20 metal straps and a massive square
INTERIOR: the spinning block has wooden floors carried on
wooden beams supported by a single row of cast-iron columns in
the centre of each floor; the engine house has been
remodelled, with iron beams to the floors; and the former
skating rink incorporates a spectators' gallery round a well.
Listing NGR: SD8388332460
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings