History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Farmbuilding South of Grimston Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Trimley St. Martin, Suffolk

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9814 / 51°58'52"N

Longitude: 1.3024 / 1°18'8"E

OS Eastings: 626880

OS Northings: 236583

OS Grid: TM268365

Mapcode National: GBR WRJ.L46

Mapcode Global: VHLC8.JGDF

Entry Name: Farmbuilding South of Grimston Hall

Listing Date: 2 February 1999

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1244817

English Heritage Legacy ID: 472842

Location: Trimley St. Martin, East Suffolk, Suffolk, IP11

County: Suffolk

District: Suffolk Coastal

Civil Parish: Trimley St. Martin

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Trimley St Martin

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Kirton

Listing Text


TRIMLEY ST MARTIN
TM 23 NE
GRIMSTON LANE
1125/2/10004
Farmbuilding South of Grimston Hall
GV
II

Farm building, probably originally a stable. Early C16 with C18 alterations and C18/C19 additions. Original brick ground storey and timber-framed upper storey with brick nogging, visible on north side within later lean-to additions. West gable end rendered. Remaining 2 sides rebuilt in red brick in C18. Additions in red brick and tarred weatherboards. Clay pantiled roofs. 2 storeys. South wall has various small windows and one diamond ventilation opening. On the west gable end is a wide ground floor doorway and an C18 enclosed stair to the upper floor. Former outside wall within north lean-to has an original blocked S-light window with heavy chamfered mullions, and on the upper floor good heavy close studding with further blocked window openings. INTERIOR. The timber frame is in 4 bays, a 5th bay to the east now missing. There is no evidence of internal partitions on either floor, nor of the original stair. Plain but substantial upper floor structure, the main beams with very shallow wide chamfers. South wallplate has evidence for 2 diamond-mullioned windows. Long arched braces to tie beams. Intact crown-post roof, the plain square crown posts with 2-way plank bracing to the collar purlin and a pair of down braces to the tie beam. HISTORY .This is the only surviving building of the farmstead associated the Elizabethan Grimston Hall, the home of Thomas Cavendish, which was replaced by the present farmhouse around 1700.


Listing NGR: TM2688036583

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description


TRIMLEY ST MARTIN
TM 23 NE
GRIMSTON LANE
1125/2/10004
Farmbuilding South of Grimston Hall
GV
II

Farm building, probably originally a stable. Early C16 with C18 alterations and C18/C19 additions. Original brick ground storey and timber-framed upper storey with brick nogging, visible on north side within later lean-to additions. West gable end rendered. Remaining 2 sides rebuilt in red brick in C18. Additions in red brick and tarred weatherboards. Clay pantiled roofs. 2 storeys. South wall has various small windows and one diamond ventilation opening. On the west gable end is a wide ground floor doorway and an C18 enclosed stair to the upper floor. Former outside wall within north lean-to has an original blocked S-light window with heavy chamfered mullions, and on the upper floor good heavy close studding with further blocked window openings. INTERIOR. The timber frame is in 4 bays, a 5th bay to the east now missing. There is no evidence of internal partitions on either floor, nor of the original stair. Plain but substantial upper floor structure, the main beams with very shallow wide chamfers. South wallplate has evidence for 2 diamond-mullioned windows. Long arched braces to tie beams. Intact crown-post roof, the plain square crown posts with 2-way plank bracing to the collar purlin and a pair of down braces to the tie beam. HISTORY .This is the only surviving building of the farmstead associated the Elizabethan Grimston Hall, the home of Thomas Cavendish, which was replaced by the present farmhouse around 1700.


Listing NGR: TM2688036583

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.