This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.3022 / 52°18'7"N
Longitude: 1.3147 / 1°18'52"E
OS Eastings: 626093
OS Northings: 272290
OS Grid: TM260722
Mapcode National: GBR WMN.P6X
Mapcode Global: VHL9Q.QDXH
Entry Name: Barn East of Wilby Hall
Listing Date: 29 January 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1244937
English Heritage Legacy ID: 472821
Location: Wilby, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP21
District: Mid Suffolk
Civil Parish: Wilby
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Wilby St Mary
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
TM 27 SE
Barn East of Wilby Hall
Barn. Late C16, probably contemporary with Wilby Hall(qv), which is dated 1579. Late C19 and early C20 additions and alterations. Timber-framed, clad in tarred weatherboarding with a clay pantiled roof Central former cart entry with boarded doors (upper sections infilled). Set forward to right is a late C19 addition clad in tarred vertical boarding with cover battens under a hipped pantiled roof. A pair of stable doors to the front. Set forward to left, a small early C20 corrugated iron clad lean-to engine shed. INTERIOR. A good quality largely intact frame in 6 bays: heavy studs with cranked arched-braces halved against their inner faces. 2 narrower bays at the cast end were originally partitioned off and floored for use as stabling: evidence of wide opposed openings, and a diamond-mullioned window in the front wall. All except one of the tie beams are in situ, the original braces replaced by knees. Original roof of queen-post type, renewed early C20, several queen posts cut down and re-used as struts to the purlins. Other early C20 alterations include insertion of upper floor in 3 bays, and installation of engine-driven feed mill at west end. This survives complete, and includes a 16 h.p. Hornsby oil engine, with drive via belt and bevel gears to a timber Hurst frame in north-west corner of barn. One pair of millstones complete with stone furniture and crane; 2 crushers; sack hoist and bins on floor above. In the late C19 addition is a 5 h.p. Lister diesel engine, installed c1950 to drive milking machinery. A rare survival in situ of an early C20 farm mill complete with engine. It was installed by 1917 and worked until 1952. The adaptation of the barn is probably contemporary with the re-fronting of Wilby Hall.
Listing NGR: TM2609372290
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings