This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4527 / 51°27'9"N
Longitude: -0.2985 / 0°17'54"W
OS Eastings: 518320
OS Northings: 174002
OS Grid: TQ183740
Mapcode National: GBR 81.7D6
Mapcode Global: VHGR2.SR18
Plus Code: 9C3XFP32+3H
Entry Name: 128, Richmond Hill
Listing Date: 20 October 1997
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1244952
English Heritage Legacy ID: 468892
Location: Ham, Petersham and Richmond Riverside, Richmond upon Thames, London, TW10
County: Richmond upon Thames
Electoral Ward/Division: Ham, Petersham and Richmond Riverside
Built-Up Area: Richmond upon Thames
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Richmond
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
TQ 1873 RICHMOND HILL
22/25/10077 No. 128
House, now flats. Circa 1861, according to evidence from the Census Returns, with rear Winter Garden and conservatory added probably cl880 and some C20 refenestration. Italianate-style main house, stuccoed with slate mansard roof Three storeys attic and basement; six windows of which 3 are in full-height curved bay to right-hand side.Two stuccoed chimneystacks; coping with C20 metal guardrail. Second floor windows have original moulded architraves but C20 top opening casements. Deep bracket eaves cornice above first floor windows which have mullioned and transomed casements and pediments on brackets and elaborate cast iron balcony with anthemion decoration. Ground floor is rusticated and windows have original surrounds with keystones but C20 casements. Left side porch of Tuscan type with rectangular fanlight with pilasters above porch and original double doors with central circular panels. Attached cast-iron area railings with spears and column principals. Attached to the rear is a cl880 Winter Garden. Red brick of one storey and basement. Flat roof with skylights. Panelled parapet. One 3-light canted bay with segmental heads and sashes with horns and left side small round-headed sash. Stuccoed band interrupts windows. Pediment above central bay and also terracotta panels. Ground floor carried on brick piers or metal supports. Attached to the right is a c1880 conservatory of wood and glass on brick plinth. This has unusual marginal glazing and includes a canted bay and pediemented entrance with flight of steps with decorative cast- iron balusters. Interior of main house has fine staircase hall with stone well staircase with cast iron balusters and plaster decoration including cornice with scrolled panels, tall panels with swags and door surrounds with open pediments and swags. The ground floor has a fireplace with Gibbs surround. Many original doors survive. The census returns of 1861 show the first occupant as Charles Bell, a Russia merchant and banker. Circa 1890 Sir Max Waechter, who gave Glover's Island and Petersham Lodge to the town and became High Sheriff of Surrey, lived here.
Listing NGR: TQ1832074002
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings