This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.2427 / 52°14'33"N
Longitude: 0.717 / 0°43'1"E
OS Eastings: 585595
OS Northings: 263984
OS Grid: TL855639
Mapcode National: GBR QF0.835
Mapcode Global: VHKD4.CWWL
Plus Code: 9F426PV8+3Q
Entry Name: A3, Monuments 107, 110, 111, 112, 118, 119, 125, 126, 143, 152
Listing Date: 30 October 1997
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1245048
English Heritage Legacy ID: 466476
Location: Bury St. Edmunds, West Suffolk, Suffolk, IP33
Civil Parish: Bury St Edmunds
Built-Up Area: Bury St Edmunds
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Bury St Edmunds St Mary
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
BURY ST EDMUNDS
TL8564SE ABBEY PRECINCTS, Great Churchyard
639-1/16/11 A 3, MON:
A group of 10 monuments:-
MON. 107: Narrow coffin stone. 1832. Ketton stone. MARY
STEGGLES and WILLIAM STEGGLES her husband, d.1834. Large deep
block letters. To local family of stone masons and surveyors.
MON. 110: Narrow coffin stone with rounded ends. 1824. Ketton.
To WILLIAM ELVEN, aged 9.
MON. 111: Narrow coffin stone with rounded ends. 1836. To
HUMPHREY WILLIAM STEGGLES and his son HUMPHREY RICHARD
MON. 112: Square box tomb. 1822. To various members of the
STEGGLES family: SOPHIA, 1856; WILLIAM, 1859; MARIA, 1851;
JAMES FREDERICK, 1815; WILLIAM HENRY, 1843; Wm, son of SUSAN,
1840; JUNE HELEN, 1841; ZACHARIAH, 1822; MARIA, 1885; MARY
ANN, 1820; FREDERIC, 1829; MARY ANN, 1829. The tomb, on a
plinth, was once surrounded by railings. It has pointed simple
round pillows in each corner. Inscribed on all 4 sides.
MON. 118: A flat stone. 1819. To HUMPHREY STEGGLES. A coffin
stone with round ends on a good base.
MON. 119: A raised slab tomb with head and foot. 1823. York
stone. Inscribed RICHARD MARSHALL (Quarter Master) Served with
W.Suffolk Militia 54 years and 100 days as Private, Corporal &
MON. 125: Headstone. n.d. To HANNAH ?NEWBURY. Draped urn.
MON. 126: A flat tomb ledger on a base. 1820. To members of
the DE CARLE family: URSULA, (wife of MATTHEW MARTIN); MATTHEW
MARTIN, 1822; MARY ANNIE ( wife of Thomas de Carle), 1841;
THOMAS DE CARLE, 1852; FANNY ELIZABETH, 1863; CATHERINE ALICE,
1867; MARY (wife of Wm Jackson), 1874; WILLIAM THOMAS JACKSON,
1881. The tomb once had railings.
MON. 143: An oval tomb. 1828. To JOHN DE CARLE, also ALICE,
his wife d.1818. A very fine tomb.
MON. 152: A flat stone. 1822. To CHARLES WM DE CARLE. Very
good, with large, deeply-cut letters.
(Survey of Monuments in the Great Churchyard c.1960: West
Suffolk CC: SECTION 3).
Listing NGR: TL8559563984
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings